175G Complete Setup for Sale

nest9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out about 4 months ago in the hobby and have enjoyed it greatly. Problem is I am traveling too much and we are taking too many trips to give the setup the attention it deserves. I would not like to split this up unless I can not ultimately get someone to take the whole package. The tank is 175G and cames with a very nice stand that houses a 35G sump, filter, power strips, timers, balasts, big protien skimmer... etc. The light is a coralife and will need a 2 bulbs replaced. I posted one time that I was having troubles with the light but I took it apart cleaned the connections and verified everything works by switching the bulbs around. The tank is about 18 months or so established. I have about 75-100 lbs of live rock, and approx that amount of sand. The tank houses 2 clown fish, blue tank fish, purple tang (I think), engineering goby, sea urchin, couple crabs, and several snails. I have tons of chemicals, food, filter cartridges, testing kits, heater, and I'm sure I am missing some stuff. It will take about 35 (5gallon) buckets to move everything. Believe me I know! I have those and I will throw those in also. I have the lids and I and I think it ran me about $150 just for the buckets. I am not going to lie, it will take about 4-6 very strong men (or olympic women) to handle this thing. Plan on at least 5-7 hours an min to transfer everything. I would like to see this setup go to someone that will appreciate it and give it the attention required. It is a beautiful tank and has always been taken care of. The guy I bought it from still had all the receipts and he had invested nearly 10k in less than a year. The light alone when new was around $1100. I am not sure what a new tank of this size goes for but obviously it is not new and I don't expect that value. I purchased the complete setup for $1400 plus the $150 for buckets. I would like to recover as much as possible from my investment. I am not looking to profit from it that is why I told you what I paid. I will entertain any reasonable offer but I will not just sell it for a low ball offer so please be respectful when making an offer. I am located in Monrovia/Madison area. I will try my best to answer any questions you have. The picture does not do this justice as I was using a cell phone. I can get you better pictures if you would like to see them. God Bless.

fish tank.jpg

OP
OP
N

nest9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you seasoned vets. Is what I am asking unreasonable? I would probably take around $1200 for the whole thing. Is this unreasonable to expect this considering the size of the tank, amount of live rock, fish, chemicals, light... etc that is it includes.

Thanks for the input.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a better economy what you are asking is not unreasonable. But in today's economy......well you know. If I had the cash or the space for it I would take it off your hands. But I have neither so I'll just wish you good luck with your sale!

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give you my two cents, this is my idea. From looking and watching sales of reef equipment this is what I have noticed about the value of used items. Tanks are worth $2 gallon. Stand and canopy is worth $1 gallon. Rock between $2 - $3 per pound. I'd rather not have used sand but start with new, or at the very least wash it very well so I wouldn't place a value on that. Lighting about half the new value less the cost of new bulbs. Sump, skimmer, pumps, heater, RO/DI, etc. about half the new value. Livestock is worth about what it is listed at online places such as LiveAquaria. Food, test kits, chemicals, etc - zero.

Do the math and see what you come up with. Not trying to rain on your parade but there is a lot of used equipment on the market. If you can find somebody anxious to get in the hobby and will "fall in love with it" then you can get more. If you just want it gone, price it where "it's a deal you can't pass up". Also post it on Craigslist. Quite a few people look there. You can almost always get more if you are willing to go through the hassle of parting the items out and selling them individually.

I'm not sure why you would need 35 buckets unless you were figuring on moving all the water as well. I wouldn't take more than enough to move the fish and put the rest down the drain.

Good luck with your sale.

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling it in one piece turns away a lot of potential buyers. I recommend breaking it up and selling it in pieces. Or a least sell the livestock separate. Livestock sells well around here.

OP
OP
N

nest9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the input. When I get home later I will get a list of the brands and see what I come up with.

Thanks.

OP
OP
N

nest9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I guess I will try to part this monster out. I will not take the tank down until the livestock is sold as I have nowhere to house them. So once the fish and rock are sold, I will then piece out the other parts. You are welcome to put a deposit to hold the items if you would like.

In terms of living items:

1 Blue Tang Large sized $50
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

1 Purple Tang med/lrg sized $175 OBO
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Purple Tang

1 sea urchin $20
Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Longspine Urchin, Black

Pair of clown fish med size $30 for the pair
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred

1 Engineering Goby approx 9"-1ft long $15
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Engineer Goby

There are a couple of crabs, snails, etc that I will give to whoever buys a fish and wants what they can catch of the misc items....

Now to the rock. I estimate that I have at least 100lbs of rock. Some of these are giganitic pieces. One piece has a gigantic leather on it. The others have some types of coral on them. The rocks will need to be "cleaned" or taken care of. Some of them have a little "hairy" appearance from maybe overfeeding or a bit much light on them??? All in all , they are great looking rocks and for someone that knows how to take care of them it would be a good pick up. I am asking $125 for all of the rocks. This is an all or nothing buy. I do not want to part out these pieces. The rocks will be the second thing to go after the fish are gone.

Next is the light. You will need to buy 2 replacement bulbs for this but everything works. New it was $1200 and is roughly 18 months old but I am asking $450 to allow you some room to get the bulbs.

Coralife Aqualight Pro Metal Halide Aquarium Light Fixture, 3X150W HQI & 4X96W Compact Fluorescents, 72 inch

Tank and Stand: Tank is 175G has no cracks or problems. The dimensions for the tank are 60Lx30Wx25H. The dimensions of the stand are 60Lx30Wx32H

I want to sell this as a combo only. I am asking $575

35G sump tank. Has 3 different overflow sections. Asking $60

Corallife Protien Skimmer uo to 220 gal Asking $100
Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel - up to 220 gal. | ThatPetPlace.com

There are a few more items I will update as I come across them,

Thanks.

OP
OP
N

nest9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated:

1 Blue Tang Large sized $50 (Pending)
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

1 Purple Tang med/lrg sized $175 OBO Reduced $100 OBO
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Purple Tang

1 sea urchin $20

Pair of clown fish med size $30 for the pair
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred

1 Engineering Goby approx 9"-1ft long $15
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Engineer Goby

There are a couple of crabs, snails, etc that I will give to whoever buys a fish and wants what they can catch of the misc items....

Now to the rock. I estimate that I have at least 100lbs of rock. Some of these are giganitic pieces. One piece has a gigantic leather on it. The others have some types of coral on them. The rocks will need to be "cleaned" or taken care of. Some of them have a little "hairy" appearance from maybe overfeeding or a bit much light on them??? All in all , they are great looking rocks and for someone that knows how to take care of them it would be a good pick up. I am asking $125 for all of the rocks. This is an all or nothing buy. I do not want to part out these pieces. The rocks will be the second thing to go after the fish are gone.

Next is the light. You will need to buy 2 replacement bulbs for this but everything works. New it was $1200 and is roughly 18 months old but I am asking $450 to allow you some room to get the bulbs.

Coralife Aqualight Pro Metal Halide Aquarium Light Fixture, 3X150W HQI & 4X96W Compact Fluorescents, 72 inch

Tank and Stand: Tank is 175G has no cracks or problems. The dimensions for the tank are 60Lx30Wx25H. The dimensions of the stand are 60Lx30Wx32H

I want to sell this as a combo only. I am asking $575

Corallife Protien Skimmer uo to 220 gal Asking $100

There are a few more items I will update as I come across them,

Thanks.

OP
OP
N

nest9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be so "flip flop" on this thing but I simply do not have the time to part out. Sorry. I will sell the complete setup for $1000. I will keep it on here for the next couple of days then post it on craigslist. Trying to give any R2R member a shot at it first. As someone stated above. If you don't need to take the water with you, then you wont need to have all 35 buckets. You will just need enough to keep the rocks and fish good until you can make the transer or get the tank set up. If you plan on using the tank right away and placing everything back in it, then you will more than likely need most of the water. Sorry for the going back and forth but trying to do whats best right now. Thanks.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000 for a lightly stocked 175 is a good deal in my book. I would be all over it if it would fit in my apartment. Too bad it didnt come around in a month or two when Ill hopefully be moving to a my new house(fingers crossed).

OP
OP
N

nest9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this posted on CL for $1,000. If a R2R member wants this, I will sale it for $800 firm. Would rather it go to someone that will take care of it at a cheaper price. This is my last offer.

Thanks.

OP
OP
N

nest9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated Items Sold and Reduced Pricing

1 Blue Tang Large sized (Sold)
1 Purple Tang med/lrg sized (Sold)
Pair of clown fish med size (Sold)
1 Engineering Goby approx 9"-1ft long $15 (Pending)

1 sea urchin $20 (I have another smaller type sea urchin I will give with this purchase)

Misc Snails, crabs.... Free with any other purchase. Whatever you can catch.

It appears I underestimated the amount of rock I have. I had a R2R member who bought some fish say I had at least 150-200lb or rock. One of the rocks contains a leather and many corals. This rock alone is approx 30-50 lbs. Tons of other rocks that are approx 5-10 lbs and then some smaller ones. Come take a look at what you want and make me an offer.

Next is the light. You will need to buy 2 replacement bulbs for this but everything works. New it was $1200. I was originally asking $450 for this but I will take $300 so you can have some room to get the bulbs. Will include 3 balasts and timers.

I want to sell this as a combo only. I was asking $575. Now asking $500

Corallife Protien Skimmer uo to 220 gal Asking $100. Now asking $80.

Reverse Osmosis system that hooks up to bathroom or kitchen faucet. Has adapter and sits on top and does not require drilling or alterations to your pipes.

There are a few more items I will update as I come across them, text me at 256-497-0513 for a faster response.

Thanks.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 145 40.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 181 50.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.9%
Back