18 gallon tote for mixing saltwater? Yes or No

saltwater guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before but I need a storage tank(tote) to make saltwater for my 40 gallon tank. I'm so far from any store but a Wally Mart. So do you think a sterlite 18 gallon tote would be ok? I don't think they are NSF as there is no label that says it. I can't pay $54 for a 20 gal. Brute. I'm kind of stuck.After getting my first refill on the tank,I can use my 5 gallon buckets (food safe ) from lowe's for regular water changes. The water will be in the tote only long enough to mix my salt,clear, and go into the forty. Thanks

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use the 5 gallon buckets to fill it up, in fact, that is what I did lol
It takes a while but who cares - Why buy something to use only once

OP
OP
S

saltwater guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its the waiting for at least four buckets to fill just to cover my rock.I don't want to lose any bacteria that is on my dry rock.It's been working for a month,but it needs the first major water change. I can always use the tote for aquarium supplies after mixing this batch. I just read that these are BPA-free and phthalate-free. I think that would be ok for short time use. Would appreciate any more opinions.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back