180 acrylic tank stand

850csmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help/advice i recently bought a 180 gallon acrylic aquarium and it came with a stand. The person I bought it from had it set up for a little while but I’m not sure how long. Looking at the stand it look to be made from 1x4s all the way around and then skinned with 1/2 plywood. Is that enough? I’ve built a couple of stands with 2x4s for smaller glass tanks but I’m not sure if something is different because it’s a acrylic tank or if I’ve just been overbuilding all my stands up until now. Any advice will be helpful

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help/advice i recently bought a 180 gallon acrylic aquarium and it came with a stand. The person I bought it from had it set up for a little while but I’m not sure how long. Looking at the stand it look to be made from 1x4s all the way around and then skinned with 1/2 plywood. Is that enough? I’ve built a couple of stands with 2x4s for smaller glass tanks but I’m not sure if something is different because it’s a acrylic tank or if I’ve just been overbuilding all my stands up until now. Any advice will be helpful

Picture would help a lot, but its possible this is just fine. Is a home made, custom made or mass manufactured stand?

OP
OP
850csmith

850csmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f7bedc573e9cfc0092eae730bcde2b09.jpg

To what I understand it’s a custom made from one of his friends that builds cabinets but I’m not 100% sure and this is the only picture I have of the stand I will take better pictures tonight

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am sure you will receive answers to your question about your stand from some members. However, I have always found it best to do my own research and calculations for two reasons; 1.) Learning it myself and 2.) While I believe most people mean well, you may receive advice that is incorrect.

The below link will help you determine your own answer should you choose to go this route.

https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch264/calculators/example7.1/index.html

I truly hope this helps!

Joel Schommer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least screw in a 2x4 frame into your existing 1" frame, plus from the looks of your picture it will be hidden anyway once you have doors on it. . The 1" frame will hold the 2x4's in place and I wouldn't be to concerned. Tanks are designed to distribute the weight evenly if everything is level. Easier to do it now than wait and regret it.

Joel Schommer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least screw in a 2x4 frame into your existing 1" frame, plus from the looks of your picture it will be hidden anyway once you have doors on it. . The 1" frame will hold the 2x4's in place and I wouldn't be to concerned. Tanks are designed to distribute the weight evenly if everything is level. Easier to do it now than wait and regret it.
Just make sure the bulk of the weight is also resting on the 2x4 framing. Needs to be a tight fit I guess is what I am saying.

OP
OP
850csmith

850csmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that’s kind of what I was thinking as well but this will be my first acrylic tank and I wasn’t sure if there was something I had overlooked allowing the stand to be built lighter than a standard glass aquarium stand but I guess whatever box it’s in water still weights the same and I’d rather be safe than sorry

Joel Schommer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that’s kind of what I was thinking as well but this will be my first acrylic tank and I wasn’t sure if there was something I had overlooked allowing the stand to be built lighter than a standard glass aquarium stand but I guess whatever box it’s it water still weights the same and I’d rather be safe than sorry
Material wise it is much lighter. You are still talking about 180 gallons of water empty and no rock. That's 1,501 lbs or 1.5 tons. Ya its crazy, but once again better to be safe than sorry!!!! It will also help with time frame of spillage and evaporation from rotting. Cheap and easy fix in my opinion.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, go take a look at my stand build.

I have been building stands in the same manner for years. Initially I consulted with a materials engineer and then with my mechanical engineer buddy next door. They both agreed that I have built them to be plenty strong the materials guy says overbuilt.

I build them this way to get maximum space underneath while conserving materials. Good quality dimensional lumber and plywood has gotten to be expensive in the last few years.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f7bedc573e9cfc0092eae730bcde2b09.jpg

To what I understand it’s a custom made from one of his friends that builds cabinets but I’m not 100% sure and this is the only picture I have of the stand I will take better pictures tonight

Personal opinion: this is likely just fine. If my AGA MDF wonder can last 10 years (though the corrosion on the fasteners is concerning), this is already overbuilt.

The acrylic will save some weight, but not much in the grand scheme of things.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back