180 gallon mixed reef flow

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question on flow... Curious what others are having success with on larger tanks with their power heads and configurations. I have been getting a lot of green slime the last few months and it is driving me nuts. About once a week i go through and syphon the algae out through a filter sock to try and remove it. I am thinking that it has to do more with flow than nutrients. My corals all have good color and seem happy, growth has been reasonably decent, never as fast as we want though lol.

I have two 6105 pumps in the tank, one on each end pointing towards the front pane up towards the surface slightly. The multicontroller has been pulsing between 40 and 75 percent ever few seconds on random flow. I also have a maxpect gyre 3k running on a 3 second pulse to 70 percent. My return pump has an outlet on each end of the tank and it is a varios 8 running at level 3. a few weeks ago i slightly increase these, seemed to help slightly, but it still grew back.

I have been looking for some input from others but have not found that many good answers for what bigger tanks are using for power heads. I have been thinking about adding a couple smaller tunzes with my multi controller on the back pane. But idk if i really need to or not. I just syphoned the algae again today, but turned all my power heads up to 100 percent. tons more water flow obviously, and I stirred up the sand just in a couple small spots to see if the sand is loaded full of detritus. There is about 2 inches or so of sand and the tank has been up and running for over 2 years now. there was some brown that came out of the sand. I do occationally turn the sand manually to help keep it from solidifying. the sand has always been very tight, the algae grows over everything, walls, rocks, frags, and the sand. its super annoying but i have been managing it for the last few months. However I am getting sort of sick of it at this point.

But once I am conviced that it is not the flow causing the algae, ill move on to more nutrient export methods. I know that lighting, filtration, and everything else can directly impact this, but nothing has really changed at all since before i was fighting this issue. same lights, same pumps, same husbandry, etc. hoping its not suffering from old tank syndrome already...

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for some input from others but have not found that many good answers for what bigger tanks are using for power heads.
I have a 5x5x3 tank. 4ea mp60's. 1 small jabeo to ripple the water surface. A hammerhead /cuda pump that feeds 3ea 1 1/2" sea swirls for random flow. The exit of the swirls are thru 45 degree elbows. This keeps my sand pretty clean. I do have to move sand piles back to cover the bare spots every few weeks.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back