180 Gallon Mixed Reef Stocking list suggestions

O'Connor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 Gallon tank is finally here. Still waiting on my supplier to bring over water, sand, rocks and help out with plumbing. Would love some suggestions or constructive criticism on the stocking list Ive come up with so far. I have a few corals im going to be putting in the new tank once cycled (large green toadstool + Long tentacle toadstool)(two acropora + Encrusting coral)(Frogspawn + Hammer + Torch). As far as the surgeon fish i plan on buying all juveniles. Wrasses i would like to get on the bigger side if possible.

(7 inch Chainlink Eel - I already own)

2 Medium to large Clownfish - Haven't decided which kind
Starry Blenny
Midas Blenny
One Spot Foxface
Sail Fin Tang
Square Tail Bristletooth Tang
Naso Tang - Was wanting blonde but they are quite a bit more expensive
Blue Tang
McCosker Flasher Wrasse
Dusky Wrasse
Melanarus Wrasse - or Banana wrasse
Vroliks Wrasse
Adorned Wrasse
Marine Betta

Considering adding a blue throat trigger although they are reef safe with caution

Assuming my plumbing/skimming are up to par, what does everyone think? Also should hermits + sand sifting star + dozen or two turbo snails be alright with the above fish?

I appreciate any input!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no one answered you since Saturday! But welcome to R2R. Check out a Paddlefin Wrasse— big and beautiful! Also a Lunare Wrasse. Best wishes with your tank. :)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a 6ft 180 since 2010

My opinion? Waaaaay to many fish.

Reality Check thats gonna be really harsh:

Your Tangs will fight for territory. The 2 strongest will survive. The others will be stressed and die of some disease like ICH. You may even lose all the Tangs if the ICH runs wild.

Your wrasses will fight each other as well and/or eventually jump out of the tank from being chased by the dominant wrasse at the time.

Your Marine Betta will starve to death bc there aren't enough live pods to feed on in a newer 180. You'll try and try to get it to eat Mysis but a 90% chance it won't take to it as it's very particular on eating live Pods.

You'll also will never see the Betta out exceot for in the middle of the night bc its a nocturnal eater. You'll be very disappointed you never see it as it hides behind a shadowy rock during the times you watch your tank

Sorry to be so harsh... but its REALITY

Your 2nd round of fish you'll trim back to 2 Tangs and 2 wrasses and 2 clowns and 1 blenny

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreeing with @zoa what.

I wasn’t addressing ‘quantity’ of fish, only ‘quality.’ Lol. I’d personally get a Paddlefin, OR a Lunare (OR the Banana you had on your list)— just one, and call it a day on Wrasses. :)

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those tangs will be fine for a few years when they are smaller. I have had at least 3 and sometimes 4 in a 4 foot 120g for 10 years with no issues with fighting. Just my opinion but the sailfin and naso will get too large to be kept together in a 180 long term. I would imagine nothing is impossible though and someone here has probably had success. I just doubt it works out too often.

I also think too many wrasses. Especially with that many tangs and the fox face. I can’t imagine the amount of food you will have to dump in the tank and the amount of nutrients you will have to export. Banana or melanarus will get large eating all the food you have to supply to feed the others.

i would skip the trigger because of the amount of food and potential crowding with other bigger fish.

marine beta is a great choice with a slow metabolism that requires minimal food. I have never known anyone locally who has had problems keeping them or getting them to eat mysis. They are a shy fish though so I would have it in the tank and trained on food prior to adding the aggressive fish.

you don’t need hardly any cleanup crew with that amount of tangs/rabbit fish to eat algae. I only have 2 hermit crabs and 1 snail that I haven’t seen in years in my 120g.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a twin spot, mcCosker, pudding wife, and what the Lfs told me was a senorita(looks more like a juvi blunthead wrasse) in my 120. I added everyone within a couple months time. I watch them closely and I’m aware they can’t live in my 120 long term.

It’s been 1-2 years and I can tell which ones will need a bigger home sooner then later. My Lfs likes when I come in with a large fish for trade, they mainly sell juvis for some reason.

I also keep a hippo, tomini, PBT, scopas, yellow tang and niger trigger. Again I got them as juvis and understand they will not be with me once they get around +6 inches. It’s been a blast watching them grow and establish. I have a video of them at the end of my build thread, just click the build thread contributor banner to get there if your interested.

I’m not sure about your wrasse compatibility because I haven’t kept those together. My rule of thumb is avoid keeping the same species.
Your naso can get too big for that tank, I’ve seen some crazy big dorys and scopas too so enjoy them while their little.

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 is as follow

scopas tang
Yellow belly blue tang
Orange shoulder tang
Coral beauty
Clown
Picasso clown
Yellow coris wrasse
Fire shrimp

Thinking im done, almost did a lamarck angel yesterday but couldnt pull the trigger

i am interested in 1 more fish,

when it comes to fish i error on less is more and with corals and fish am a believer of sticking closer to playing it safe

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was adult color when i got him

I swear he regressed due to my blue tang even though he isnt picked on

same fish-3 months apart

6760980B-8863-4717-861B-8919195D04D0.jpeg 58FB862F-412F-42B9-988D-90069D970DB8.jpeg

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your Tangs will fight for territory. The 2 strongest will survive. The others will be stressed and die of some disease like ICH. You may even lose all the Tangs if the ICH runs wild.

Your wrasses will fight each other as well and/or eventually jump out of the tank from being chased by the dominant wrasse at the time.

Your Marine Betta will starve to death bc there aren't enough live pods to feed on in a newer 180. You'll try and try to get it to eat Mysis but a 90% chance it won't take to it as it's very particular on eating live Pods.

You'll also will never see the Betta out exceot for in the middle of the night bc its a nocturnal eater. You'll be very disappointed you never see it as it hides behind a shadowy rock during the times you watch your tank

Your 2nd round of fish you'll trim back to 2 Tangs and 2 wrasses and 2 clowns and 1 blenny

Excellent advice all around. I have a 180 and after learning my lessons, I won’t stock more than two tangs anymore. I would however recommend to the OP to consider couple of Blotched Anthias. Great fish for a reef.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I've heard similar stories about the Marine Betta being elusive. Kind of, 'The most beautiful fish you'll never SEE' type of comments. ;Blackeye

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I've heard similar stories about the Marine Betta being elusive. Kind of, 'The most beautiful fish you'll never SEE' type of comments. ;Blackeye
This is a fairly accurate description. Really depends on your rock work, and how much he likes the food you put in the tank. Mine comes front and center when I stand in front of the tank as he expects to be fed. If I’m sitting on the couch a few feet away he disappears back into the rock work. My buddy has a very minimalist rock scape so he sees his all the time.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree on the Marine Betta - or at least offer a different take. Maybe mine is unique, but he’s always out during the day and eats everything: calanus, brine, bloodworms and mysis (actually loves mysis). True, he does tend to hang out at the back of the tank - but whenever someone enters the room (especially with food), he’s out and about with everything else.

They (again, mine) are a super cool fish, and very peaceful. They don’t go into “pig mode” like everything else when it’s feeding time.

And I don’t think this is necessarily too many fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

O'Connor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im fine with sticking with two tangs and two wrasses. Maybe a juvenile naso and dejadani sailfin, and maye just a dusky wrasse and red coris wrasse. Thinking i may skip the clowns and starry blenny

OP
OP
O

O'Connor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those tangs will be fine for a few years when they are smaller. I have had at least 3 and sometimes 4 in a 4 foot 120g for 10 years with no issues with fighting. Just my opinion but the sailfin and naso will get too large to be kept together in a 180 long term. I would imagine nothing is impossible though and someone here has probably had success. I just doubt it works out too often.

I also think too many wrasses. Especially with that many tangs and the fox face. I can’t imagine the amount of food you will have to dump in the tank and the amount of nutrients you will have to export. Banana or melanarus will get large eating all the food you have to supply to feed the others.

i would skip the trigger because of the amount of food and potential crowding with other bigger fish.

marine beta is a great choice with a slow metabolism that requires minimal food. I have never known anyone locally who has had problems keeping them or getting them to eat mysis. They are a shy fish though so I would have it in the tank and trained on food prior to adding the aggressive fish.

you don’t need hardly any cleanup crew with that amount of tangs/rabbit fish to eat algae. I only have 2 hermit crabs and 1 snail that I haven’t seen in years in my 120g.
thank you for the advice. i will definitely heed your warning, stick to two tangs, 2 wrasses or will narrow down to one if need be, marine betta is too cool to not try out, fox face, and midas blenny

OP
OP
O

O'Connor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree on the Marine Betta - or at least offer a different take. Maybe mine is unique, but he’s always out during the day and eats everything: calanus, brine, bloodworms and mysis (actually loves mysis). True, he does tend to hang out at the back of the tank - but whenever someone enters the room (especially with food), he’s out and about with everything else.

They (again, mine) are a super cool fish, and very peaceful. They don’t go into “pig mode” like everything else when it’s feeding time.

And I don’t think this is necessarily too many fish.
thank you for your input, i definitely am interested in the marine betta. was really wanting a panther grouper till i did more research

OP
OP
O

O'Connor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you i would definitley consider some anthias except ive read they need to be fed up to 3 times a day, and it seems as though my list is already over stocked
Excellent advice all around. I have a 180 and after learning my lessons, I won’t stock more than two tangs anymore. I would however recommend to the OP to consider couple of Blotched Anthias. Great fish for a reef.

OP
OP
O

O'Connor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a twin spot, mcCosker, pudding wife, and what the Lfs told me was a senorita(looks more like a juvi blunthead wrasse) in my 120. I added everyone within a couple months time. I watch them closely and I’m aware they can’t live in my 120 long term.

It’s been 1-2 years and I can tell which ones will need a bigger home sooner then later. My Lfs likes when I come in with a large fish for trade, they mainly sell juvis for some reason.

I also keep a hippo, tomini, PBT, scopas, yellow tang and niger trigger. Again I got them as juvis and understand they will not be with me once they get around +6 inches. It’s been a blast watching them grow and establish. I have a video of them at the end of my build thread, just click the build thread contributor banner to get there if your interested.

I’m not sure about your wrasse compatibility because I haven’t kept those together. My rule of thumb is avoid keeping the same species.
Your naso can get too big for that tank, I’ve seen some crazy big dorys and scopas too so enjoy them while their little.
out of your wrasses, which one would you say you favor the most?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back