180 gallon Waterbox upgrade

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got done reading another post "pros and cons of a 1000 gallon reef tank" and it now has me nervous. Currently I have a RSReefer 170 and am looking to upgrade to a Waterbox 180.5. I've always heard that bigger (within reason) is better/easier. I want to go bigger to add tangs. My current tank is my first reef tank and it has been up and running for almost 2 years with what I would define as a success. So my question is, what am I getting myself into? Not asking about money, I have that figured. I'm taking about how much more time, work, problems.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harder, Easier, the biggest difference between a big tank and a small tank is that the bigger tank is more forgiving. Parameters don't change as quick and emergencies happen a little slower giving you more time to react, usually. Initially the bigger tank is more work to set up because of more rock, sand, and such. The water changes are bigger, 10 percent on a small tank may mean a couple of gallons were a big tank it may mean 10 to 20 gals. Once the tank is setup and cycled and going strong their really isn't much of a difference , big or small you still have to monitor parameters. If you have already thought about getting a bigger tank then I think you are ready for it because you would not have otherwise. Don;t let a word BIGGER scare you into not doing something you want to do, and that's go BIGGER. I have a 120 gal tank and I wish I went with a 210 gal tank. GO GET THAT TANK AND JOIN US TANG FANATICS, LOL!!!

MW319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you post your build thread. I have the Waterbox 170 and I love it. :cool:

OP
OP
B

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I plan on doing a build thread. Very excited about the big tank, just nervous like described in my opening thread.

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm I would have to agree with billdg on it. Just more maintenance everything else would be the same I think.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll enjoy the bigger tank more. Lots of fish you can put in it verses the smaller tanks. I have tangs, angels, gobies,blennie,clown, YHJ in my 185gl.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the slightly larger 230.6 and it is pretty straight forward as far as maintenance. Set yourself up for success by planning things out and you will be golden. I use a set of 44g Brutes for my water changes. The red Brute is my "waste" water and the grey is my clean water. I simply empty about 40g from the tank into the red Brute (to the top of the internal lip of the can), then I pump the same amount of pre-mixed and aged water back into the tank from the grey can. I do this every other weekend and it takes all of 10 minutes with no buckets being lifted!

Other than initial setup, water changes are the biggest difference in my book for tanks up to ~200g. Much bigger and the time and money required start to go up proportionately.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should pass....and just send the tank to me I'll set it up for you and post lots of pics. that way you get to enjoy it with out the trouble...

sound good?

if you have the space fot it i would really think about the peninsula tanks. maybe it's just me but i think they are just amazing. trying to convence the GF we need a 3rd tank so I can get one.

like said above large tanks are the same really just more...more fish more corals more water more money..haha

you will love it. get the biggest you can fit and afford so you dont upgrade in a few years once it all set up and grown in.

MW319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the slightly larger 230.6 and it is pretty straight forward as far as maintenance. Set yourself up for success by planning things out and you will be golden. I use a set of 44g Brutes for my water changes. The red Brute is my "waste" water and the grey is my clean water. I simply empty about 40g from the tank into the red Brute (to the top of the internal lip of the can), then I pump the same amount of pre-mixed and aged water back into the tank from the grey can. I do this every other weekend and it takes all of 10 minutes with no buckets being lifted!

Other than initial setup, water changes are the biggest difference in my book for tanks up to ~200g. Much bigger and the time and money required start to go up proportionately.
I do the exact same thing but both my Brutes are gray so i used a marker and wrote New Salt Water on the side of one of them. LOL

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 210g and it was awesome. Best tank I've had once I got everything stablized and running well...it was almost hands off [esp using the Triton method]. Now have a Waterbox 130.4 which I am setting up and will follow the same principles. Planning is key...think it out and take your time and get good equipment and think about upgrades and you'll be fine. Don't have to break the bank either...good stuff out there that will do the job reasonable price wise.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back