Which AI Axis will fit in Waterbox 20 Cube for return pump

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to replace my Sicce micro with a better pump but I cant seem to find something that will work as a better return pump. I was thinking of the AI Axis but I am not sure which one would work (the largest I can fit in there).

Is there anyone who has been successful upgrading to AI Axis on their Waterbox cube?

beegee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Axis 40 would be the right size and flow rate. I don't have one though, so I'm following this thread.

rogueshrimp88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's slightly bigger but I have the Axis 40 in my WB 25 and it not only fits but it is dead silent. All I hear is the trickle of water when it goes out of Feed Mode.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Have you had the random shut off issues some people claim to have?

Nope. I have an axis 40 from launch day. Works great. Occasionally it won’t come back on from a feed mode but I’m convinced that’s an MXM issue because it affects my Vortechs too. The mxm is junk.

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope. I have an axis 40 from launch day. Works great. Occasionally it won’t come back on from a feed mode but I’m convinced that’s an MXM issue because it affects my Vortechs too. The mxm is junk.

No random shut off issues for me, it runs great to be honest. I'm happy with it.

I’m also looking into the Hygger returns

OP
OP
bubbgee

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also looking into the Hygger returns
I tried the hyger's copycat return pump. The smallest return pump's barb size doesn't fit the hose connected to the elbow connector. I gave up after trying different hoses afterwards and returned it to amazon.

Do let us know if you figure it out.

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried the hyger's copycat return pump. The smallest return pump's barb size doesn't fit the hose connected to the elbow connector. I gave up after trying different hoses afterwards and returned it to amazon.

Do let us know if you figure it out.
Do you also have the 50.1 AIO?

OP
OP
bubbgee

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this..
I was able to get the Axis 20 instead of the 40. Only because I also got an extra Nero 3, so there's too many pumps in my tiny cube lol.

Pros: Being a DC pump, I plugged it to my ice cap battery backpack with one of the Nero 3s. I set the power to off and I was able to run those two pumps at regular speed (both at 30%) for about four days. Huge bonus!
App control is a huge plus since I have several AI products already. The pump is shorter than the Axis 40, which allows me to add the extra Nero3 to that part of the back wall.

Cons: Attaching a variable flow outlet for wave control wasn't really effective even at max speed. There is no pulse mode and wave mode which the Mighty Jet and the IOAIO alternative pump (which is half-price of the Axis) have.

All in all, if you're not invested in AquaIllumination and need to update your return pump, I'd still recommend a Mighty Jet or IOAIO for the pulse and wave function. But if you're knee deep in AI products in your tank, Axis is a no-brainer. A DC return pump is really a must have upgrade with the battery packs available in the market place for making sure the tank is at least pushing water when there is power outage (one of my worst fears, really).

BrunoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update, I was divided between the 20 and 40 as well. The 40 on the other hand has enough flow to plug an RFG on it, which I think won't work that well on the 20? How many Neros are you running in your Waterbox? I'm running a single Nero 3 on the side panel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bubbgee

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 powerheads. Two Nero 3s on the back wall (one next to the overflow and one under the return) and an mp 10 on lowest at the bottom left side close to the front glass. I still am tinkering with the flow since I am looking at my torches and I want more extension. Currently I am on pulse for both, the child is at 90 degrees and just running 30%.

I've seen another configuration with a single Nero 5 on the upper middle left side, which now makes me think.. lol. This 20 cube is gorgeous.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you should start a build thread for that bad boy. Inspiration for my cube 20

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.1%
Back