180 stand braces or not?

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am currently getting a good start on my 180 gallon reef build and have a couple of questions for anyone that can help. I just built my stand for this monster tank using some plans I found on another forum. The plans state I won't need a center brace using the preferred 2 x 8's on the top railing but this makes me a bit nervous. If I came home with my house flooded from the stand giving out I believe this grown man would cry. The stand feel very rigid but just would like some assurance on leaving the braces out. The other question I have is how level does this have to be? I understand I want it as level as possible but is there any give? I used a transit to check about 20 points throughout the stand and the maximum variance is under 1/8 of and inch. Would this be flat enough for this large of a tank?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 361

hejjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would have the center brace as long as my sump still fit. Plus with the doors on it. If the tanks is not level you run the risk of splash out from the wave maker depending which way it's leaning and or need a higher water lvl for it to flow into the over flow properly.

I had a tank that ended up not lvl after filling it and tho I didn't have any problems I could see the water lvl below the brace on the left side but not the right and I hated it. I regretted it every time I looked at the tank.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, that stand could have been built with 2x6 top boards and be strong enough for no center brace. The 2x8 knocks it out of the park. Definitely do not need any bracing. What you do want to do is skin that stand to make sure it doesn't rack.

As far as level, use shims under the stand to make it as level as you can. Remember you are putting the biggest level on top of this stand. If it's not level it will be noted in the water level in the tank....especially if you have two overflows in opposite corners.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep 2x6 would have been fine... I would add one center brace in the back if you're worried, that's what i did with my 135.

OP
OP
M_norrick

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I feel much better about this now. I am definitely level in reguards to a 4' bubble level and have no concern about seeing a difference in the water line. I simply went the extra mile and used a transit that is true level to the world and checked various points front to back and left to right. I vary just under an 1/8" somewhere in the middle if the stand actually. May be due to a slight warp in the 2 x 8. I was mainly worried about twist of the bottom of the tank. I understand the glass does not give at all.. It breaks. Would this variance in the stand be tolerable or am I over engineering this thing?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top the stand with 3/4 plywood. That will help in "leveling" the top of the stand.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks fantastic! Very nice.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back