180G Flow Question

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've been building up a 180G for a few months now and my 4th and hopefully final 180g tank comes this Thursday. I currently have 2 Jaebo PP-20's I was going to throw in to start. I also have a MP40QD lying around.

The tank will be predominately SPS with some LPS on the bottom and random Zoas.

My question is, how should I set up the flow for this tank? Do I run 2-3 MP40's, 1 MP60 & 1 MP40, Neptune WAV, Tunze's etc. What will give me the best bang for my buck, ideal level of flow, and have the control I want.

My currently plan until I sell my old reef tank is the PP-20's on either end and the MP40 on back center.

Any input helps, Thanks!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the 180g? You want powerheads that can really push the water. I personally really like Tunze as they are good with water movement, last a long time, easiish to clean.
I used the Jaebo a while back, but quit working shortly after a year. I tried a gyro and it died at a year, I have not tried the vortex or too many others. I just end up back with Tunze.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 6’x2’x2’ 180g I had 2 mp40 on the back walls pushing to the front and 2 more mp40s on the side pushing across the tank. Great flow with a good amount of rock and a ton of sps.

I’d suggest a gyre now tho if you haven’t purchased anything. Get a couple of those and some mp40s or whatever for random flow in the spots you need

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back