180g needs help with Standing Wave Flow Using MP's

terri_ann

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2013
Messages
792
Reaction score
269
Location
Central Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help with setting my Master pump (MP60) and slave pump (MP40-opposite end of tank and on back wall) to get a standing/resonant wave for the flow. Do I tune it by using the Short Pulse mode? How do I determine that I have the standing wave? Is it where the corals with long polyps sway side to side/back and forth?
 
If the powerheads are near the surface of the tank, you can actually see the standing wave on the surface of the water. Corals and macroalgae swaying back and forth are signs of alternating flow.
 
Thanks AllSigns!! The powerheads are near the surface. So what does a standing wave look like? Sorry, but I'm just not understanding:9( I Really want to create it in the 180. Alternating flow is what I have been using then and it's not doing the job like I'm wanting...
 
A standing wave looks exactly like a normal set of waves with the exception that the crests/troughs do not move with respect to the ends of the tank.
 
Thanks again AllSigns!! That's helpful I think so now I will see if I can get it. I wish there was a video showing it, top-down:D Then I would know for sure if I have accomplished it! If you have a video, I'd LOVE to watch it!
 
Check out this video. Notice how the crests don't really move.


If you check out this aquarium video, you can see the standing wave set up at the water line around the 5:23 mark:


Hope this helps!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new