1st time 55GA set up....

PUR_salt_vettech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I am new in this hobbie, Ive been building up my 1st Tank 55GA with a 20 Ga Sump in process. I am building by baffles but I am trying to see how I should do it. Here are my questions?

1. I dont have a Protein Skimmer yet.... Any good options and where to buy online.?
2. Plumbing I want to use Standard 40 in color, but Home depot does not ship it to Puerto Rico, US Territorie. Any one who can help me out where to buy online
3. Which pump is good? I have heard a lot about the Vectra DOC, Should I go with inside or outside Pump.
4. I also want to my overflow, I have read a lot about the fantom??? overflow using a beananimal overflow.... I trying to DIY style, I am very tight on budget, Time is not a problem. I have been ambigous on what to buy for the past 5 weeks.
5. Should I paint spray the back of my tank black?? is that old school??

I want to start cycling my tank asap. I want to try using a shrimp and let it built up that cycle using dry rock or live rock?

To many questions???

Restrictions:
1. I live in Puerto Rico,
2. My Tank stand is 56 inches long, by 30 wide and 40 inches high.
3. I want my plumbing to hold long term, and integrating color helps my moral go up
4. I start my Master again in August and I need to set it up.... Please assist!!

Here are my pictures!

20170603_061840.jpg

20170530_195438.jpg

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would go with an inside pump as it allows me to upgrade or downgrade and not have to do a bunch of math to figure bulkheads and all of that every time a pump fails or I have to upgrade. Bulk reef supply sells slightly more expensive pvc, Home Depot is like 3.89 for 10 foot and bulk reef supply is 9.99 for 7 foot of any color you want. Kinda cool actually.

Vectra pumps have a very good track record so far, but you can find cheaper alternatives that offer similar features.

Don't know much about overflow boxes I'm using one of the eshopps eclipse ones right now on my 90.

Black is actually the norm right now, blue back is old school. I'd say either go clear back or black!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back