1st time fragging SPS. Looking for advise and tips to get it right.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am set to receive some sps coral frags from a friend. The frags will not be attached to plugs. I will be super gluing the frags to plugs myself after I receive them. I have made DIY AIO frag tank from a 40 breeder. I have a Tunze 6055 for water movement and a Tunze 9004 skimmer. I will be lighting the tank with 4 ATI T5 lamps. I plan to change 10% of water using Reef Crystals every other day or so to keep up with supplement requirements. I have Matrix and a large sponge in my main display sump I will move to quarantine for filtration. My plan is to leave the frags in the quarantine 40 for 45 days then I will add to my main display. I also plan to quarantine some inverts (snails, crabs, urchins and shrimp) during the same period. I have a Dremel with diamond cutting wheel if any of the frags do not have a clean cut. Is it recommended to dip the frag with iodine, Frag Recover, etc? Should this be done before I glue the frag to the plug or after? Is there anything I am missing? All comments are appreciated.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is the most gentle dip for pests. I do not dip in iodine.

Change water from your display into your frag tank... more microbes and good stuff in the water. Good for your display and good for your frag tank.

When you frag, use bone cutters, but do not "snip" with them. Get them snug to a branch and then "twist" for a clean break.

If you have larger cuts, then do: frag plug <=> dab of superglue-gel <=> 2 part putty <=> dab of superglue gel <=> frag.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is the most gentle dip for pests. I do not dip in iodine.

Change water from your display into your frag tank... more microbes and good stuff in the water. Good for your display and good for your frag tank.

When you frag, use bone cutters, but do not "snip" with them. Get them snug to a branch and then "twist" for a clean break.

If you have larger cuts, then do: frag plug <=> dab of superglue-gel <=> 2 part putty <=> dab of superglue gel <=> frag.
Good idea about using the tank water. The DKH would then be closer to 8 as opposed to the higher level with fresh Reef Crystals.

My friend's reef service/maintenance guy is actually the one cutting the frags from the colonies. So I'm not sure how he plans on doing it. I did talk to him though and he said he will cut and bag them. Then box them up with heat pads if needed. I'm hoping to get there before he starts so I can check out his routine.

The frags will be cut from the tips of the colonies, so that should minimize possible pests. I will use Bayer, for sure, as a preventive measure just the same. I've read that Iodine or Natural Herbal Dips like Revive or Recover aid in the healing and recovery of the cut tissue. Is this something I could/should do in addition to the Bayer dip? Should one treatment be done before the other?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can lower alk in fresh salt mix with Muratic Acid - it is safe and easy, but it takes a few more days for the pH to come back up after adding the acid. ...something to think about in the future.

I would not use revive or recover or any of that. If they frags are healthy, then you are all set.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Another question. Should I dip the frags in Bayer before gluing them to the plugs? The plugs are new. I’ll soak them in RO water prior.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Another question. Should I dip the frags in Bayer before gluing them to the plugs? The plugs are new. I’ll soak them in RO water prior.

I'd dip without the plugs. Also I'm a big fan of Bayer, but if I want to see if anything comes off my acros I'll use Melafix Pond. It's what I used when I was dipping to eradicate AEFW.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% water change every other day seems pretty excessive. Any reason for this?
I plan on quarantining non-coral invertebrates with the frags, some of which will have to be fed. So I'm not sure how the nutrients will sort out. This will be my first time working with sps frags so I thought water changes would be the best way to keep the parameters as stable as possible. I might be overthinking it. That being said, this is why created the thread. I'm always open to the suggestions of the more experienced.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back