1st time fragging zoas

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

1st time fragging zoas and wanted to get opinions if they look like they're doing well. The white zombies and pink diamonds were on a plastic frag rack so I tried removing them from the base since they're not attached to something I can cut. Half of the purple monsters were done this way also. The other half I was able to cut from coral skeletons they were growing out from. I know in the frag videos you don't want to cut from the base but I had no other option. TIA.

20240220_172414.jpg 20240220_172444.jpg 20240220_172516.jpg 20240220_172632.jpg

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cutting from the base is not recommended/risky, but can be done if needed? Or did I just get lucky.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cutting from the base is not recommended/risky, but can be done if needed? Or did I just get lucky.
Do you mean, peel and pry them off the frag rack? No problem doing that.

Or do you actually mean to cut the top off the zoa and leave the base behind? I wouldn't do that. Butchers the frag with trauma and increases the probability of losing that frag. Also very hard to mount a slimy cut-up zoa head.

The frags you made look fine! Good job. I'm actually on the hunt for some purple monsters!

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean, peel and pry them off the frag rack? No problem doing that.

Or do you actually mean to cut the top off the zoa and leave the base behind? I wouldn't do that. Butchers the frag with trauma and increases the probability of losing that frag. Also very hard to mount a slimy cut-up zoa head.

The frags you made look fine! Good job. I'm actually on the hunt for some purple monsters!
In between. I tried peeling and prying them off the frag rack, but looks like I cut them right at the base. The white zombies and pink diamonds are all open. The purple monsters, some polyps are fully open and some are half. I have some of the zoas growing in the glass of the aquarium. Any advice on best way to remove and frag those? Thanks.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In between. I tried peeling and prying them off the frag rack, but looks like I cut them right at the base. The white zombies and pink diamonds are all open. The purple monsters, some polyps are fully open and some are half. I have some of the zoas growing in the glass of the aquarium. Any advice on best way to remove and frag those? Thanks.

Off the glass, simply use a razor blade (or credit card). Take the blade and gently slide it under the base and scrape off. This should not damage the base at all and the base will easily glue onto a frag plug.

*Hey let's not forget safety. Best practice would be to wear gloves and eye protection.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It usually takes a few days to figure out which ones are gonna stick and once ones might have problems. A few quick observations.

1) if you have to cut something off a solid surface you can do so and then put it in a container in the aquarium and give it a few days to heal ( a shroom box with calcium reactor media on the bottom is tops). This is the 'ole scrape and wait.' After a few days the zoa will heal and then you can mount it on a plug with a much higher survivability rate. You generally want to avoid contacting glue with tissue, especially freshly cut/injured tissue.

2) Its good practice to use a clean surface. I use a small piece of acrylic I rinse off in between cutting different strains. It keeps the coral juice from mixing together and stressing stuff out more.

3) Once mounted I put the frags in a small container with a bubbler and a few drops of lugols (I'll also change out the water after I've cut a few strains to again limit the mixing of stressed zoa juices). Let it go for 5-6 mins before returning to the aquarium.

4) Depending on the size of your aquarium its a good idea to do a modest water change a few days after.

5) Be mindful of not only eye protection (I've gotten it 3xs over the years, one time wearing eye protection while using my saw and I didn't have enough coverage, now I used a face shield when on the saw), but also nicks and cuts on your hands. Worst issue I've had was a scratch on my wrist. I was unaware at the time, I cut a bunch of stuff. It ended up pussing and weeping for a week or two, left a gnarly scar.

6) Try your best to limit the amount of tissue you have to cut. Its perfectly fine cutting tissue but work with what the mat is giving you.

Otherwise your first try looks pretty darn good.

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually takes a few days to figure out which ones are gonna stick and once ones might have problems. A few quick observations.

1) if you have to cut something off a solid surface you can do so and then put it in a container in the aquarium and give it a few days to heal ( a shroom box with calcium reactor media on the bottom is tops). This is the 'ole scrape and wait.' After a few days the zoa will heal and then you can mount it on a plug with a much higher survivability rate. You generally want to avoid contacting glue with tissue, especially freshly cut/injured tissue.

2) Its good practice to use a clean surface. I use a small piece of acrylic I rinse off in between cutting different strains. It keeps the coral juice from mixing together and stressing stuff out more.

3) Once mounted I put the frags in a small container with a bubbler and a few drops of lugols (I'll also change out the water after I've cut a few strains to again limit the mixing of stressed zoa juices). Let it go for 5-6 mins before returning to the aquarium.

4) Depending on the size of your aquarium its a good idea to do a modest water change a few days after.

5) Be mindful of not only eye protection (I've gotten it 3xs over the years, one time wearing eye protection while using my saw and I didn't have enough coverage, now I used a face shield when on the saw), but also nicks and cuts on your hands. Worst issue I've had was a scratch on my wrist. I was unaware at the time, I cut a bunch of stuff. It ended up pussing and weeping for a week or two, left a gnarly scar.

6) Try your best to limit the amount of tissue you have to cut. Its perfectly fine cutting tissue but work with what the mat is giving you.

Otherwise your first try looks pretty darn good.
Thanks for the detailed info! Appreciate it!

OP
OP
D

darnoc23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the glass, simply use a razor blade (or credit card). Take the blade and gently slide it under the base and scrape off. This should not damage the base at all and the base will easily glue onto a frag plug.

*Hey let's not forget safety. Best practice would be to wear gloves and eye protection.
Thanks!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back