1st time Triton Results - Iodine off the charts!

Dhofman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

My venture into Saltwater and Reefkeeping has not been the easiest. Time and time again I test, things check out. Then I see corals suddenly start to STN, RTN, or just recede from their skeleton. Things would go well for a few months, then horrible. I have killed too many corals since setting my tank up almost 2 years ago.

Anyway, after exhausting many avenues per suggestions from various sources, I decided to get a Triton test done of my water (what actually spurred this was the article in Coral magazine about cheap return pumps and heavy metals they potentially give off, I use a Jebao pump). I am attaching/uploading my Triton results. The only to things that were alarmingly out of whack were Boron and Iodine. Iodine was so high from the recommended value, I was speechless. It was 3035.00 μg/l compared to the setpoint of 60.00 μg/l.

Ever since I started my tank, I have used the Aquavitro line of salt and additives. I would test what I can as I go (alk, PH, calcium, mag., Strontium, Iodide/Iodine, Nitrate, Phosphate). I tried various testing kit brands and settled on Salifert for ease of use, accuracy, availability, etc. Some tests I do daily, others weekly.

The high Boron is likely from dosing too much Aquavitro Fuel (although I was following directions and if anything, likely dosing less than recommended based on suggested frequency). What ticks me off about this is "experts" say dose this when many of the things contained within it we have no way of checking unless we send a water sample in to a place like Triton!!!

However, the Iodine has me a little stumped it was off the charts. For a long time I was dosing Aquavitro Vibrance (Potassium Iodide) because I was told Acans and Zoas need it. I was always getting next to nothing in terms of it registering from any test kit and kept dosing. FYI- Iodine is also contained in the Aquavitro Fuel product per the Label as well.

I have been doing water changes every other day since my results. Also running carbon and skimming (although have read conflicting reports if skimming actually removes iodine). I have not dosed Vibrance in almost 2 months because I was convinced it was not doing anything (was testing to see) and levels were still this elevated. I have also stopped dosing Fuel as well since the Triton results came in last week. I normally do 10% (30 gallon) water changes every week. I dose everything based on Aquavitro products with exception of Baking Soda (Arm & Hammer), for alkalinity.

Would my constant dosing of Vibrance cause this (even though Seachem claims it stays in Iodide form)? Am I missing anything that also contributes Iodine to a reef? Would Iodine possibly leach from Live Rock (dry when I purchased it) if it was exposed to it in a system before mine? Would these elevated levels contribute to my STN, RTN, and receding tissue issues I have been experiencing many times over the last 2 years? Are there any other measures I should be taking to remove iodine from my tank? Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Triton Results.pdf
    118.8 KB · Views: 216

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dhofman, the thing about using high end salts is you should not have to dose much or at all, especially if you are doing water changes weekly. Many supplements are made for when you are low on something and that you can test for. You would add whatever until it was back to seawater levels. Amount added should be based on actual water volume. If you go to this site you should get a much better idea as to you water volume http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html
I would stop all dosing and just go with your weekly water change if you are still going to use Salinity salt, it should supply everything you will need until you have a heavy demand for supplements. I also feel there is some confusion with that test for Iodine as if it was that high everything in your tank would died. I believe it had a hard time telling Iodine and Iodide which is much safer form.
Anyhow bottom line just do you weekly water changes and DO NOT DOSE ANYTHING and I believe you will make a amazing come back.

OP
OP
D

Dhofman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skim,

Thanks for the reply and help in validating my current approach so far. What you have laid out is pretty much my plan after going thru another out of cycle water change or two to get levels down even more. I have no plan to use the Vibrance and Fuel anytime soon, if ever again. I am likely guilty of adding too much to my tank. However, too many people "encourage" it if you want the "brightest and healthiest corals" but very few talk about the potential side effects. One cannot test many of the Fuel additive ingredients and testing for Iodide was not yielding results or showing low results using multiple test kit brands. As a result, more and more added.

I have a total of about 300 gallons after addition of the sump and subtracting out weight of the sand and rock. Possibly a tad more but tend to be more on the conservative side. Even with weekly water changes, I find I still need to dose for the big three during the week. Alk is every day. Calcium almost every day. Magnesium usually requires a mid week addition.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases, water changes will not maintain alk, calcium, and certain trace elements.

I personally don't think there is convincing evidence that supplemental iodine is useful.

I'd try stopping dosing it and see what happens to the appearance and growth of your corals over a few months. The iodine detected might be iodide, iodate, or organic forms. I doubt it is causing harm (it is not I2, which is the antimicrobial form) but there's no reason to be adding more at this point.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back