Crazy High Iodine 2000+

Chriscorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody seen THIS high of an iodine reading From a ATI test? NOT a ICP test as Ive read a good amount of people state that icp test are known to show false high iodine levels.

what’s my best opinion to get this lowered to a “normal” level? I do run a carbon reactor so I’m assuming water changes would be my only other option.

I’m 99% sure the iodine is coming from me dosing Isol8MT so that has been cut out. I’m just wondering the best way to lower it and what it could possibly be doing to my tank.

2ED28439-0B27-4F2E-B6D1-70608E7D556F.png

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably send in an ICP test to verify. I would think most coral would die in that level ov Iodine...

If it is correct, some quick math says you would need to do at least 98% water change...

So... I would do 20%-50% daily changes (depending on the tank size) to help bring the level down. In theory it could take 17-20 20% changes or about 6 50% changes.

Just be careful to match salinity, temperature, and alk as close as possible with large water changes to prevent stress.

OP
OP
C

Chriscorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably send in an ICP test to verify. I would think most coral would die in that level ov Iodine...

If it is correct, some quick math says you would need to do at least 98% water change...

So... I would do 20%-50% daily changes (depending on the tank size) to help bring the level down. In theory it could take 17-20 20% changes or about 6 50% changes.

Just be careful to match salinity, temperature, and alk as close as possible with large water changes to prevent stress.
As you can see in the video (sorry about the sound) all of my fish and coral seem to be doing okay. I do have a few sps that are/have started bleaching and after doing some research i found that CAN be a sign of too much iodine.

Im currently trying to track down a GOOD and trusted Iodine tester before I start doing all of those water changes. I thought I put the tank size in the original post but I guess I didn't. This is a Waterbox 220 so ive always just gone off of 200 gallon water volume.

Since receiving the results ive suspended dosing my stuff that contains iodine as well as started up the reef moonshiners program (planned to start before the results, reason for the test) so I will be doing monthly/semi monthly testing. Ive read that since im running a skimmer and a carbon reactor that it should "evaporate" eventually but im not sure that goes for such huge amounts like I have in this situation.

Attachments

• GJraBRmX-8iN6wUBADcfIbEiLWx3bmdjAAAF.mp4
    12.5 MB

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea iodine test is fine to diagnose this.
it comes with a control 0.06ppm for comparison. The higher the level, the faster it decolorizes. If your iodine were actually nearly that high, it should lose color super fast.

A chem test kit like that can also be used to help you find what additives might be the source. And confirm that your water changes will actually bring it down.

That's a really incredibly high level if accurate. A product should not have usage instructions that would allow that to be possible. I like ATI, but I don't know what to think about that number - I'm mostly surprised their ICP calibration curve even goes that high and allows a result there.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red Sea iodine test is fine to diagnose this.
it comes with a control 0.06ppm for comparison. The higher the level, the faster it decolorizes. If your iodine were actually nearly that high, it should lose color super fast.

A chem test kit like that can also be used to help you find what additives might be the source. And confirm that your water changes will actually bring it down.

That's a really incredibly high level if accurate. A product should not have usage instructions that would allow that to be possible. I like ATI, but I don't know what to think about that number - I'm mostly surprised their ICP calibration curve even goes that high and allows a result there.

Is it possible that a high level of phosphorous would cloud the iodine level? Cristoph talked about this recently with ICP-OES testing. It can't detect iodine all that well and P levels really mess with the emission line of iodine

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that a high level of phosphorous would cloud the iodine level? Cristoph talked about this recently with ICP-OES testing. It can't detect iodine all that well and P levels really mess with the emission line of iodine

Yep. High P can make Iodine hard to measure by ICP-OES. The spectral lines interfere.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this to accurately test iodine. Mine was about 1200 one time and took forever to come down but it didn't kill anything. I followed seachem iodide directions and a capful every other day is way too much...and that was for 50 gallons and I have a 125. So half dose so to speak but it ran my iodine crazy high

Thread 'USING HANNA CHECKER HI-707 TO TEST FOR IODINE' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/using-hanna-checker-hi-707-to-test-for-iodine.669022/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back