1st timer SPS - dip new SPS frags in bayer ?

patrsnracn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have my 1st batch ever of small SPS frags arriving tomorrow. Only been doing LPS & softies so far.

I have seen threads about dipping SPS in Bayer bug killer at 5ml per cup of tank water for 5min once a week for 6 weeks. I have a 29gal QT set up cycled and ready to go and was going to dip them in a combo of Revive and Seachem Reef Dip (iodine) and them let them live in QT for a month under 165watt black box and see how they do??

any suggestions?

thank you in advance

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip them in the Revive, dipping in Revive makes it easier to see if any pest or unknowns come off the sps. Swish the corals around and look at the bottom of the dip container.
Familiarize your self with the usual suspects. For instant, what do AEFW (acropora eating flatworms) look like, bite marks, and what to their eggs look like. What do Red Bugs look like. Visual inspection is as important as a dip.
Once you visually inspect them and dip them put them in the QT. Make sure the QT provides stable parameters Ca/alk/mag.
Initially you may not see a lot of polyp extension, but you should see improvement within in a week. If you do not see the typical polyp extension look again for pest.
Use display water to dilute the dip, rinse the frags in display water prior to placing frags in QT.

Congrats on your new sps and good luck. :)

OP
OP
patrsnracn

patrsnracn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks did all this, got some worms (not AEFW) to come off and some kind of anemone(s) but no redbugs either. The worms were ~1/16" long & skinny. now just waiting for them to relax, they are all Acros, 1-2" frags with decent looking flesh apparent, especially under the blue LEDs. Based on the 1st dip producing some hitch hikers, should I dip them again later?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks did all this, got some worms (not AEFW) to come off and some kind of anemone(s) but no redbugs either. The worms were ~1/16" long & skinny. now just waiting for them to relax, they are all Acros, 1-2" frags with decent looking flesh apparent, especially under the blue LEDs. Based on the 1st dip producing some hitch hikers, should I dip them again later?

Shot in the dark maybe but do you have a picture from what came off your frags?

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 10ml bayer per cup of water. Let sit for 10 minutes and blow the coral with a turkey baster every minute of so. Dip in 2 different saltwater rinses after that. I've done over 30 different acros and never had a problem

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do a Bayer dip on all new additions. I then lightly scrub the base by where the coral meets the plug with a toothbrush and then remove the coral from the plug.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back