2.5g as QT?

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During my depression over the disappointing R2G experience I wrote about previously, I came across three very cheap tanks with accessories at a thrift store, 2x 10g and 1x 2.5g. Ended up with 3 hoods for 10g (which helps my freshwater side of the house) and 3 hob filters of the 5-15 gallon variety that is common in 10g starter kits.

Question for the group... How suitable is the 2.5 gallon tank with one of the hob filters as a QT, at least for a short time? R2G says they are going to reship my entire order at no charge, but if I receive them one day next week and FedEx delivers close to noon again, I will have only 2 hours to do something with them as I have to leave for work at 2pm. So, I am thinking of putting them into an fresh saltwater only tank (no sand or rock) at least for the 10 hours I will be away at work. Reminder, the fish to be QTed would be 2 A. Ocellaris, 2 blue-green chromis, and 2 yellow coral gobies, probably all about 3/4 inch sized or smaller (assuming they survive the trip this time).

Thoughts?

If that's enough water volume, what should I put in the filter, if anything?

(I could potentially use a 10g instead, but I currently get my RO water in 3 gallon batches from work and I probably don't have quite enough salt left to mix 10g.)

(errors courtesy of iPad autocorrect)

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2.5g tank would be too small to qt that many fish imho. I would use a 10 gallon tank. I'd put a few PVC fittings to create places for fish to hide.

Do you know what these thrift store tanks were used for before you got them?

OP
OP
M

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently for storing dust and cheesy aquarium decorations.

The bends of the filter tube had some white mineral deposits. Are you hinting at concerns about copper?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back