2 Clownfish Dead

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is this more typical clownfish behavior? I did a water change and got the water tested by the LFS (sadly they used API too but I couldn't find anyone that didn't). He just started acting like this. I didn't know if swimming vertical was odd behavior or not
Thank you for video as I have a better picture as to clown condition. This fish does Not look good and is in distress and may be becoming moribund which is a matter of survival. I dont believe there is much you can do for it and wish this was Not the case as there is no medication to perk it up in this state.
The water flow seems excessive but can be the weak state of the fish. Dont believe this is water quality related although could have been a trigger.

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for video as I have a better picture as to clown condition. This fish does Not look good and is in distress and may be becoming moribund which is a matter of survival. I dont believe there is much you can do for it and wish this was Not the case as there is no medication to perk it up in this state.
The water flow seems excessive but can be the weak state of the fish. Dont believe this is water quality related although could have been a trigger.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah he is kind of swimming erratically. Should I turn off the power head to lower the flow? I have wondered if I need to do that for the last few days

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Yeah he is kind of swimming erratically. Should I turn off the power head to lower the flow? I have wondered if I need to do that for the last few days
It may not help but would not hurt

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this more typical clownfish behavior? I did a water change and got the water tested by the LFS (sadly they used API too but I couldn't find anyone that didn't). He just started acting like this. I didn't know if swimming vertical was odd behavior or not

That actually looks a stage worse than "mopey" - see how the clown is swimming stiffed-bodied and its gills are swollen? That is a really bad sign, but I cannot tell you if it is disease, a water quality issue in your tank, or something the fish came in with.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks! Would a mixup with the shipping water causing an ammonia spike on Wednesday take this long to affect the fish? Also, it looks like there area lot of copepods floating in the water. Idk if that would affect anything either
It can. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag and if it enters tank can alter some of the chemistry

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually looks a stage worse than "mopey" - see how the clown is swimming stiffed-bodied and its gills are swollen? That is a really bad sign, but I cannot tell you if it is disease, a water quality issue in your tank, or something the fish came in with.

Jay
I would assume it's not disease because he is a captive bred fish straight from the facility he was bred at. I'm thinking he and the others were poisoned from bad shipping water from a spike in ammonia. And since my tank is new, any amount ammonia is continuing to hurt them. Are there any other water quality things other than the basic parameters that can have a big effect?

It can. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag and if it enters tank can alter some of the chemistry
I didn't put any of the shipping water in the tank, so I don't think that would be it. But the company had said someone overdosed the shipping buffer which inadequately lowered the ammonia in the bags during shipping. I'm wondering if it could be an oxygen issue with my tank

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cram some sponge it the outfall to tone down the flow but not remove it completely. might make it easier o the fish for the end.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your tank can process 2 ppm ammonia in 48 hours. It should be 24 hours, not 48. So your tank is processing ammonia, but not fast enough. That might be your problem, or at least it’s not helping.

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your tank can process 2 ppm ammonia in 48 hours. It should be 24 hours, not 48. So your tank is processing ammonia, but not fast enough. That might be your problem, or at least it’s not helping.
Yeah a guy in the area told me before that I should be good to add a fish or two if the tank could cycle in 48 hrs. The ammonia bottle he let me use said 24 hrs. I didn't ask questions. Not sure what to do now. I know clownfish are pretty hardy. My yasha goby seems to be doing ok. He is chilling in his hole under a rock and breathing normally. My clown is breathing pretty heavily in comparison

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would assume it's not disease because he is a captive bred fish straight from the facility he was bred at. I'm thinking he and the others were poisoned from bad shipping water from a spike in ammonia. And since my tank is new, any amount ammonia is continuing to hurt them. Are there any other water quality things other than the basic parameters that can have a big effect?

I didn't put any of the shipping water in the tank, so I don't think that would be it. But the company had said someone overdosed the shipping buffer which inadequately lowered the ammonia in the bags during shipping. I'm wondering if it could be an oxygen issue with my tank
I should say buffer leading to a spike

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back