Sick Clownfish!!! Odd behavior

Lightscape Visions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish has been sitting at the bottom of the tank like this for a couple days now. In the morning he swims up and eats but during the rest of the day he just stays low. I’ve had him for a year now and haven’t introduced any new fish ever since. Parameters are steady, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. Just did a water change but everything seems to be the same maybe these pictures can help? Any thoughts, not sure if he’s dying. Today I woke up and he was at the top swimming. Does anyone know what it might be?
#fishm#fishmedic

IMG_4398.jpeg IMG_4397.jpeg IMG_4396.jpeg IMG_4395.jpeg IMG_4394.jpeg IMG_4393.jpeg IMG_4399.jpeg IMG_4400.jpeg IMG_4401.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My clownfish has been sitting at the bottom of the tank like this for a couple days now. In the morning he swims up and eats but during the rest of the day he just stays low. I’ve had him for a year now and haven’t introduced any new fish ever since. Parameters are steady, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. Just did a water change but everything seems to be the same maybe these pictures can help? Any thoughts, not sure if he’s dying. Today I woke up and he was at the top swimming. Does anyone know what it might be?
#fishm#fishmedic

IMG_4398.jpeg IMG_4397.jpeg IMG_4396.jpeg IMG_4395.jpeg IMG_4394.jpeg IMG_4393.jpeg IMG_4399.jpeg IMG_4400.jpeg IMG_4401.jpeg
Thanks for great pics under preferred lighting. Unfortunately noted are a few observations.
Fish is thin, likely due to loss of appetite as brook is also noticeable. Also seen is tethered fins from aggression from likely another clown or other occupant. The fish looks quite weak also close to being moribund.
Is fish breathing normal or Rapid?
Eating at all?

OP
OP
L

Lightscape Visions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he is eating but no as often some days he doesn’t. Breathing isn’t rapid that’s what threw me off because I know that can be a symptom. He is the only fish in the 10 gallon tank. I had a pair but he died like 5 months ago. The only other occupant is 2 baby hermits and some bristle worms (not infestation) I don’t think that’s the cause. I’m open to any solutions.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest an illness unrelated to an external parasite. The fish is thin - has been in an untouched tank for a year While it could be that it has an external parasite, I don't see any evidence for one - and barring any new stress - no reason for one to appear. It could be that whatever is affecting the clown underlying - has led it to not eat - and be weakened to a parasite already in the tank - but my feeling is that there is not much to do at this point.

OP
OP
L

Lightscape Visions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest an illness unrelated to an external parasite. The fish is thin - has been in an untouched tank for a year While it could be that it has an external parasite, I don't see any evidence for one - and barring any new stress - no reason for one to appear. It could be that whatever is affecting the clown underlying - has led it to not eat - and be weakened to a parasite already in the tank - but my feeling is that there is not much to do at this point.
What could cause a parasite to be introduced without there being any new organisms added to it? Also if he were to die, what should I do to the aquarium to get rid of the parasite.?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What could cause a parasite to be introduced without there being any new organisms added to it? Also if he were to die, what should I do to the aquarium to get rid of the parasite.?
That was my point - I don't see it as brooklynella - unless there was some kind of stress and there was some brooklynella circulating in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of food energy could be the culprit here. Try feeding multiple times a day, as much as it will take in, but be aware there are chronic diseases like mycobacterium (untreatable) that will cause a fish to become week and thin despite how much food you give it.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back