2 Clownfish Possible Brook?

Tattooween

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I tried googling for quite a bit but I wanted to be more direct with my question.

Woke up this morning with 2 clownfish ( I got them 4 days ago) breathing a little fast with tiny mouth movements (not gaping wide breathing) and looks to be white coating on them (not white dots). I have a yellow watchman goby (1 month in my tank) with 0 symptoms. I went to lfs and they recommended seachem cupramine so I picked up a QT tank and set everything up and dossed some bacteria with a small piece of live rock and added all 3 fish to it. After doing some more research it looks like it might not help if its brook. Am I able to dose metroplex or something else along side cupramine in the water? DT was 2 months old 20g, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, <5 nitrate .04 phos, 35ppt salinity 15 coral frags (all healthy) and 10 inverts (all healthy) and even added an air stone. I lost my first clownfish 2 weeks ago to which I thought was lack of O2 due to algae bloom, I didn't realize it was a parasite which my watchman goby was immune to. I don't want to lose anymore fish :(.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tattooween

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less pronounced whiteness without my blue reef lights I guess, but still worried.

Attachments

• 443697631_25534085069571030_6243812980151627387_n.mp4
    3.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I tried googling for quite a bit but I wanted to be more direct with my question.

Woke up this morning with 2 clownfish ( I got them 4 days ago) breathing a little fast with tiny mouth movements (not gaping wide breathing) and looks to be white coating on them (not white dots). I have a yellow watchman goby (1 month in my tank) with 0 symptoms. I went to lfs and they recommended seachem cupramine so I picked up a QT tank and set everything up and dossed some bacteria with a small piece of live rock and added all 3 fish to it. After doing some more research it looks like it might not help if its brook. Am I able to dose metroplex or something else along side cupramine in the water? DT was 2 months old 20g, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, <5 nitrate .04 phos, 35ppt salinity 15 coral frags (all healthy) and 10 inverts (all healthy) and even added an air stone. I lost my first clownfish 2 weeks ago to which I thought was lack of O2 due to algae bloom, I didn't realize it was a parasite which my watchman goby was immune to. I don't want to lose anymore fish :(.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to Reef2Reef. It well could be Brooklynella. The clowns also look a bit thin. Copper just doesn't have a good track record against Brooklynella. It does work well for velvet, which is another gill disease that causes fish to breath fast.

Formalin is the best treatment for Brook, but it is difficult to source and isn't really safe to use in a home due to toxic off-gassing.

The next best treatment is Ruby Reef Rally Pro as a dip, but that doesn't have as good a track record as formalin does.

OP
OP
T

Tattooween

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, past 4 nights they have been eating extremely well and always begging for food. Can I dip them in Ruby Reef in a 5 gallon bucket and then place them back in the QT that has cupramine? Feeding them later tonight to see how they fair.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks Jay, past 4 nights they have been eating extremely well and always begging for food. Can I dip them in Ruby Reef in a 5 gallon bucket and then place them back in the QT that has cupramine? Feeding them later tonight to see how they fair.
Please post pics for confirmation and assessment under white light intensity or a you tube video of at least 25 seconds

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here you go.
Best recourse since you have ruby Rally pro. . . . . Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro with aeration then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
little one is gettig more and more vertical at the bottom.
Treatment should help Often this vertical swim mode and wobbly swimming associated with brook as well as discoloration if you have noticed that

OP
OP
T

Tattooween

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys, i would need to order it on amazon and have it delivered tomorrow night. Hopefully they are still doing well by then. I don't have any stores near me with it.

OP
OP
T

Tattooween

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both clownfish dead at 7 AM :crying-face:. Goby still unaffected/immune. What is the best form of action going forward? DT 6 week fallow and dose ruby rally into QT tank with goby? I wont be able to tell if the infection is cured. Can ruby be mixed with cupramine? When can I add more fish to QT? Any other meds I should buy for future QT's.

Sigh, first jump into the hobby and I get struck with nothing but death and anxiety.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both clownfish dead at 7 AM :crying-face:. Goby still unaffected/immune. What is the best form of action going forward? DT 6 week fallow and dose ruby rally into QT tank with goby? I wont be able to tell if the infection is cured. Can ruby be mixed with cupramine? When can I add more fish to QT? Any other meds I should buy for future QT's.

Sigh, first jump into the hobby and I get struck with nothing but death and anxiety.

Yes - I would do what you propose: DT 6 week fallow and dose ruby rally into QT tank with goby

Here is our current quarantine protocol. It isn't specific for Brooklynella, but it does allow you to treat for that in a QT instead of your DT.

Back