2 Dead, 1 showing distress, 2 healthy (so far)

mmakay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Coral Beauty had been hiding under the rocks and not eating for about a week. I stupidly assumed something scared it and it was just stressed.

A couple of days ago a Kole tang in my tank went missing (now presumed dead). Prior to the disappearance he was showing no symptoms other than being a litttle paler than usual. He was eating and swimming normally. Around this time, we also realized our PJ Cardinal was hiding behind the rock work and not eating.

Yesterday, the Coral Beauty was found swimming (barely) around the gyre, looking extremely pale and “scruffy”. Within minutes of seeing this, it stopped swimming completely. It was removed and disposed of. Stupidly, I did not take any photos. I did look closely at the body, and saw no spots (like ick) or blotches (like bacterial infection).

So today it finally clicked that I should be concerned. The PJ was netted and given a fresh water dip for about 3 minutes before going into QT. I could not detect any flatworms or other parasites jumping off, and close inspection of the container afterwards found nothing either. His body looks normal. He is just lethargic and his eyes are slightly cloudy.

Still in the tank are a Firefish and Clown. They are eating and acting normally.

I’m worried that many of the symptoms point to Velvet, but I though you could see velvet. Expert opinions on what’s going on and how best to proceed are greatly appreciated.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes you cant see velvet cause it attacks the gills w hens the last time you added any fish/coral/inverts in in your tank

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming towards the powerhead is a sign that you're dealing with velvet. Also their quick decline is also a solid indicator. I'd pull all fish and conduct a FWD and then place in QT. Ramp copper levels quickly over 24-48 hours to therapeutic levels depending on fish reaction to the medication. Also make sure you have a solid test kit when administering copper. Hanna checker is my recommendation.

OP
OP
M

mmakay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested yesterday and all the basics are good. Nitrate and Phosphate are higher than I’d like but only elevated to ”happy nuisance algae” levels, no where near “fish sick” levels.

This is the best PJ photo I was able to get:

D5B07045-A530-4EB3-8D01-F117482AA0D4.jpeg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell by the photos...

Is there light dusting on the fishes body, heavy breathing, erratic swimming, etc?

Check out this thread.

OP
OP
M

mmakay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes you cant see velvet cause it attacks the gills w hens the last time you added any fish/coral/inverts in in your tank

New frags and and some snails were added about 3 weeks ago.

OP
OP
M

mmakay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell by the photos...

Is there light dusting on the fishes body, heavy breathing, erratic swimming, etc?

No obvious dusting. Breathing seems fairly normal. Larthargic yes, erratic no.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any of the symptoms of velvet being shown, you may be dealing with internal parasites, in particular flagellates. Any sign of white and stringy poo, pinched stomach, fish still eating a lot but losing weight, and loss of color? Flagellates are particularly deadly and can kill quickly.

Treat with Metronidazole (even better with General Cure as it has both metro + praziquantel). Mix with food + Metro or GC + Focus to bind. Feed every day for up to 3 weeks or until symptoms disappear.

OP
OP
M

mmakay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any of the symptoms of velvet being shown, you may be dealing with internal parasites, in particular flagellates. Any sign of white and stringy poo, pinched stomach, fish still eating a lot but losing weight, and loss of color?

No. Definitely none of those symptoms.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back