2 dead fish, 2 days

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I had a bicolor blenny and a green clown goby die within 2 days after being alive for almost 2 weeks. All that remains are my pulsing Xenia, gsp, a sexy shrimp and some snails. Salinity 1.026, temp 75- 76 (a little low but not really), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates, PH 8.4...I did have a tiger wardi goby die in it after I noticed it was having a hard time in my other tank. My suspicion was that it died from stress and being bullied but now I'm starting to think it might have had some disease. I inspect all of my fish and did not notice any kind of disease and I haven't had this problem until now. Is there a disease that can kill these fish within 2 days with no signs of illness before hand? No other fish are dying in the other tank. I did do a water change 3 days ago but nothing out of the ordinary and my other tank is doing just fine. I don't quarantine, I know I should but this is odd. I also added vibrant about 2 weeks ago but only half the dose to help get rid of some algae. The tank has been running for 4 months now with no fish until recently, I know it's cycled as well. Any thoughts or could it just be a coincidence?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be multiple reasons. How did you acclimate the new fish? did you compare the water from the LFS to your salinity? Does vibrant affect 02 levels? I thought I heard that somewhere. What filtration are you using? Surface agitation? Skimmer?

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I had a bicolor blenny and a green clown goby die within 2 days after being alive for almost 2 weeks. All that remains are my pulsing Xenia, gsp, a sexy shrimp and some snails. Salinity 1.026, temp 75- 76 (a little low but not really), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates, PH 8.4...I did have a tiger wardi goby die in it after I noticed it was having a hard time in my other tank. My suspicion was that it died from stress and being bullied but now I'm starting to think it might have had some disease. I inspect all of my fish and did not notice any kind of disease and I haven't had this problem until now. Is there a disease that can kill these fish within 2 days with no signs of illness before hand? No other fish are dying in the other tank. I did do a water change 3 days ago but nothing out of the ordinary and my other tank is doing just fine. I don't quarantine, I know I should but this is odd. I also added vibrant about 2 weeks ago but only half the dose to help get rid of some algae. The tank has been running for 4 months now with no fish until recently, I know it's cycled as well. Any thoughts or could it just be a coincidence?

Were they eating? Were they behaving normally? Both of these guys will find a little spot on a rock or in a nook to hang out, and then zip out and grab food, if they were swimming frantically, or if they weren't coming out to eat, that is a data point.

OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be multiple reasons. How did you acclimate the new fish? did you compare the water from the LFS to your salinity? Does vibrant affect 02 levels? I thought I heard that somewhere. What filtration are you using? Surface agitation? Skimmer?
I floated the bags to temp acclimate as I usually do. My salinity is the same as my LFS, I don't know about vibrant affecting co2 levels, I don't use a skimmer it's a 10 gallon nano and I've got an internal filter blowing water over the surface to agitate. I honestly don't think anybody will ever really know I suppose I'm just more frustrated and trying not to kill anymore animals!

OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they eating? Were they behaving normally? Both of these guys will find a little spot on a rock or in a nook to hang out, and then zip out and grab food, if they were swimming frantically, or if they weren't coming out to eat, that is a data point.
I was feeding frozen mysis, some cyclops, and some eggs. The blenny was munching on some algae growing in the tank and I saw them both come out to feed. The clown goby was a little inactive though and wouldn't go after food unless it went to his face but I assumed it's what that species did.

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I floated the bags to temp acclimate as I usually do. My salinity is the same as my LFS, I don't know about vibrant affecting co2 levels, I don't use a skimmer it's a 10 gallon nano and I've got an internal filter blowing water over the surface to agitate. I honestly don't think anybody will ever really know I suppose I'm just more frustrated and trying not to kill anymore animals!

"I floated the bags to temp acclimate as I usually do. My salinity is the same as my LFS, I don't know about vibrant affecting co2 levels"

I wouldn't float acclimate for anything except fish that came through the mail. You are adjusting for more than just temperature and salinity. 2 weeks though is a touch long for them to have survived an acclimation issue.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
research some threads here about vibrant and ammonia spikes and 02 problems in small tanks.

OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I floated the bags to temp acclimate as I usually do. My salinity is the same as my LFS, I don't know about vibrant affecting co2 levels"

I wouldn't float acclimate for anything except fish that came through the mail. You are adjusting for more than just temperature and salinity. 2 weeks

I wouldn't float acclimate for anything except fish that came through the mail. You are adjusting for more than just temperature and salinity. 2 weeks though is a touch long for them to have survived an acclimation issue.

Setting up a QT next time, and drip acclimate...everything I pretty much thought was pointless until now.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If salinity matches then floating is fine...

Were they breathing fast at all? Velvet in the gills can kill fast.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never noticed any fast breathing but that's good to know. Can velvet stay in a tank after they die and been removed?

Yes, tank can be cleared by going fallow:

OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day before clown goby died...ignore the ghost worms

Attachments

• 20220124_152441.jpg
    20220124_152441.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 34

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back