2 fish down can they be saved.

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 separate issues here firstly so I bought a pair of firefish me assuming it meant male and female but I now think ive ended up with 2 males they where fine for nearly 2 weeks then they just turned nasty on each other I managed to save the one took most damage as you'll see chunks of missing fin etc and atm I've put him in an external large breeding trap.
Firstly what would u advise treating him with now it will have to treat the whole tank as i don't have a separate hospital tank. There is shrimp crabs and corals such as zoas and mushrooms in the tank so would have to be OK with them. this is the fire fish
20230301_183812.jpg

20230301_183720.jpg

Secondly this is a bit of a tougher case so I received 2x coral green gobies about 2 weeks ago now and they weren't doing well very lethargic and darkened colour and looked like they were going to die . the 1st one died within 48hours but this 2nd one has been hanging on for 2weeks now! He just lies there motionless majority of the time sometimes lying on its side and you can see darkened colour very thin it hasn't eaten in 2weeks anything ive offered it. I don't really know what's wrong with it everyday I expect to see it dead but surprisingly still alive. I don't know if there's anything you can suggest trying it with or what could be wrong or should I just humanely euthanise him I'm not sure. If treating him again would have to treat whole tank he is in external breeding trap currently.
here he is
1677697295105763312849892174591.jpg
16776973597798949195131675402718.jpg
16776974156855020923233144934956.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I have 2 separate issues here firstly so I bought a pair of firefish me assuming it meant male and female but I now think ive ended up with 2 males they where fine for nearly 2 weeks then they just turned nasty on each other I managed to save the one took most damage as you'll see chunks of missing fin etc and atm I've put him in an external large breeding trap.
Firstly what would u advise treating him with now it will have to treat the whole tank as i don't have a separate hospital tank. There is shrimp crabs and corals such as zoas and mushrooms in the tank so would have to be OK with them. this is the fire fish
20230301_183812.jpg

20230301_183720.jpg

Secondly this is a bit of a tougher case so I received 2x coral green gobies about 2 weeks ago now and they weren't doing well very lethargic and darkened colour and looked like they were going to die . the 1st one died within 48hours but this 2nd one has been hanging on for 2weeks now! He just lies there motionless majority of the time sometimes lying on its side and you can see darkened colour very thin it hasn't eaten in 2weeks anything ive offered it. I don't really know what's wrong with it everyday I expect to see it dead but surprisingly still alive. I don't know if there's anything you can suggest trying it with or what could be wrong or should I just humanely euthanise him I'm not sure. If treating him again would have to treat whole tank he is in external breeding trap currently.
here he is
1677697295105763312849892174591.jpg
16776973597798949195131675402718.jpg
16776974156855020923233144934956.jpg
What a streak of bad luck. While these fish look tired- there is hope. For the clown goby (green) - try live baby brine shrimp, rotifiers and even copepods as an enticing food offering.
For the firefish, I do not see any damage that is alarming than a need to heal. Is there mouth damage?
If eating, keep it fed but also assure they are in absolute good water quality environment monitored by a Reliable test kit and even add an airstone for added oxygen.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To answer your question - IMHO no treatment is needed unless there is sign of infection (redness, worsening, change in behavior). They look like nice fish overall. Agree with the feeding advice - the one goby looks pretty thin - as you mentioned - which may not be a good sign. I'm curious why do you think the other one died? This might help figure out to do with the second one?

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question - IMHO no treatment is needed unless there is sign of infection (redness, worsening, change in behavior). They look like nice fish overall. Agree with the feeding advice - the one goby looks pretty thin - as you mentioned - which may not be a good sign. I'm curious why do you think the other one died? This might help figure out to do with the second one?
I've no idea why I died they both where received not looking great at all. the 1st goby died pretty quickly after I got it. but the 2nd goby it literally just sits there or lies on its side motionless very laboured breathing and doesn't move .it looks like it could die any minute but it's now been over 2 weeks!! the goby hasn't improved whatsoever it just lies there I'm shocked its still going and lime said means hasn't eating a thing. I've tried offering it pellets,flake, different frozen foods and live foods even made baby brine shrimp for it and absolutely no interest didn't move a muscle when seeing all the food around him just didn't care. I'm really at a loss of what is actually wrong with him as there's nothing visible to see and I can't imagine he is going to survive much longer like this . I honestly expect every morning to find he's dead but nope he's still hanging on.
ANY IDEAS GUYS?

regarding the 2nd fish the firefish he died so quickly it was unreal. As you saw from the photos his main visible injury was the big chunk out of his tail. I mean i literally caught them in the middle of the fight and that's how was able to save him and I would if thought with just the torn fins should of survived after a bit of healing time which is easy enough but literally just started lying on his side not moving and few hours later he was dead. Could the trauma from fight been really that bad to kill him?

Also just to be clear I've done a complete test chart testing from everything from ammonia to calcium magnesium and everything is absolutely where they should be apart from a little lower ph of 7.8 which is a thing that just keeps happening anf i mmow alot of people have these ossues with the ph been caused by co2 etc etc. but everything is stable. so conditions wise are all good.

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a streak of bad luck. While these fish look tired- there is hope. For the clown goby (green) - try live baby brine shrimp, rotifiers and even copepods as an enticing food offering.
For the firefish, I do not see any damage that is alarming than a need to heal. Is there mouth damage?
If eating, keep it fed but also assure they are in absolute good water quality environment monitored by a Reliable test kit and even add an airstone for added oxygen.
I've no idea why I died they both where received not looking great at all. the 1st goby died pretty quickly after I got it. but the 2nd goby it literally just sits there or lies on its side motionless very laboured breathing and doesn't move .it looks like it could die any minute but it's now been over 2 weeks!! the goby hasn't improved whatsoever it just lies there I'm shocked its still going and lime said means hasn't eating a thing. I've tried offering it pellets,flake, different frozen foods and live foods even made baby brine shrimp for it and absolutely no interest didn't move a muscle when seeing all the food around him just didn't care. I'm really at a loss of what is actually wrong with him as there's nothing visible to see and I can't imagine he is going to survive much longer like this . I honestly expect every morning to find he's dead but nope he's still hanging on.
ANY IDEAS GUYS?

regarding the 2nd fish the firefish he died so quickly it was unreal. As you saw from the photos his main visible injury was the big chunk out of his tail. I mean i literally caught them in the middle of the fight and that's how was able to save him and I would if thought with just the torn fins should of survived after a bit of healing time which is easy enough but literally just started lying on his side not moving and few hours later he was dead. Could the trauma from fight been really that bad to kill him?

Also just to be clear I've done a complete test chart testing from everything from ammonia to calcium magnesium and everything is absolutely where they should be apart from a little lower ph of 7.8 which is a thing that just keeps happening anf i mmow alot of people have these ossues with the ph been caused by co2 etc etc. but everything is stable. so conditions wise are all good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
ANY IDEAS GUYS?

Trauma and stress can have impact but there may have been silent killers such as velvet or flukes which are rarely seen until they've overtaken a fish. I personally would reset the tank and while running fallow, I would obtain and send in an ICP test which is a complete water analysis.
I dont recall what test kits you are using but quality test kits are a must as fish dont talk, test kits do

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trauma and stress can have impact but there may have been silent killers such as velvet or flukes which are rarely seen until they've overtaken a fish. I personally would reset the tank and while running fallow, I would obtain and send in an ICP test which is a complete water analysis.
I dont recall what test kits you are using but quality test kits are a must as fish dont talk, test kits do
I'm using brand new jbl professional marine set the big set.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
died pretty quickly after I got it
Does this mean you got it shipped to you?
i don't have a separate hospital tank
I'd suggest you invest in setting up a quarantine tank/hospital tank for receiving future fishes.

If the fish is eating at all, try using supplements as recommended for an ill fish in the Fish Nutrition post. As for the Green Goby -- tempting it with the suggested live foods is about all you can do. I keep a culture of white worms on hand for this purpose.

Hoping for the best. :)

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean you got it shipped to you?

I'd suggest you invest in setting up a quarantine tank/hospital tank for receiving future fishes.

If the fish is eating at all, try using supplements as recommended for an ill fish in the Fish Nutrition post. As for the Green Goby -- tempting it with the suggested live foods is about all you can do. I keep a culture of white worms on hand for this purpose.

Hoping for the best. :)

yes I got it shipped as only way to get fish near here really. its still alive shockingly I don't know how. I have grindal worm I'm trying it with atm and for the first time it did eat a couple of pieces but it's still not right and lying on its side alot.
the firefish it died sadly the fight it had with other one obviously was too much for it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back