2 gallon Jellyfish Art Tank

An Octopus Garden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my nano Jellyfish tank. Mostly I've kept it stock, other than upgrading the air pump to a marina 50 for more flow. Currently I've been trying to keep blue blubbers in it. It's been about 4 months now of keeping them. I started with 2, sadly I ripped one into pieces during a water change that was a "learning moment" for myself. Of course I killed the way more active one too, so the last couple weeks it's been a bit boring while I wait for more jellyfish to arrive.
Anyways, here are some pictures of the system, and a video from a couple weeks ago when both my jellyfish were still alive. I also included a picture of the stock air pump, and the one I upgraded to.
Mostly I've enjoyed this tank quite a bit. It's like a new age, living lava lamp. The biggest negative is that the air tube needs to be checked for salt creep at minimum once per week, twice per week is much better though.

20190223_173411.jpg 20190223_173436.jpg 20190223_173520.jpg 20190223_173529.jpg 20190223_173538.jpg 20190223_173549.jpg 20190223_173700.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I love jellyfish tanks.
Always wanted to try one. How sensitive are they to swings in parameters? (Temp, salinity. Ect...) and do you use an auto top off with this system?

OP
OP
An Octopus Garden

An Octopus Garden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jellyfish themselves seem pretty darn hardy to changes in most parameters. I can't say for sure, as I haven't out right tested it yet, but salinity seems to greatly affect their buoyancy and activity. Normal range salinity, and they seem to sit on the bottom mostly, slowly moving along. Bump the salinity up just a couple points, and they swim all over bouncing off the walls.
The hard part with them is feeding. They constantly want food, but it's a nano tank so over-feeding is a large concern. Live brine shrimp are what most things I've read recommend. I've also tried PE calanus and was quite impressed by the reaction. They seem to love the calanus. I over fed once late at night, and figured I'd just do a water change as soon as I woke up. When I woke up though, my active jellyfish's feeding tentacles were bright screaming red from all the calanus he was packing, and my tank was completely cleaned of excess food.
I don't use an auto-top off. It would probably help out quite a bit, but I'm not sure where I would even fit one while keeping it looking nice.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back