2+ months and still spitting out stuff

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hobbyists, first day posting but I’ve long trawled the site for the wisdom shared here. I’ve had a tank cycle for 2+ months. I’ve done two major water changes (50-80%) and other smaller changes but my the return pump to this day is spitting out plumes of particles. It’s not noticeable when the tank is full and the pump is at a low setting — IM Nuvo AIO with their pump on steroids — but when the chamber where the return pump is located is low on water (maybe 50% or so, if not higher), or if I jack up the settings, the plume gets more noticeable.

What should I do? Do I need to do anything at all?

Two videos attached, although the chamber is really low bc plume ordinarily is not otherwise so … robust (if that’s the right word?). Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.mov
    20.3 MB
  • IMG_0374.mov
    23.8 MB

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hobbyists, first day posting but I’ve long trawled the site for the wisdom shared here. I’ve had a tank cycle for 2+ months. I’ve done two major water changes (50-80%) and other smaller changes but my the return pump to this day is spitting out plumes of particles. It’s not noticeable when the tank is full and the pump is at a low setting — IM Nuvo AIO with their pump on steroids — but when the chamber where the return pump is located is low on water (maybe 50% or so, if not higher), or if I jack up the settings, the plume gets more noticeable.

What should I do? Do I need to do anything at all?

Two videos attached, although the chamber is really low bc plume ordinarily is not otherwise so … robust (if that’s the right word?). Thanks all.
Particles or Air bubbles ?

Sorry, the video won't load for me.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're letting your water level get low (evaporation) and sucking air into the pump. Are you topping off the tank with non-saltwater?

OP
OP
A

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Particles or Air bubbles ?

Sorry, the video won't load for me.
Definitely particles. Like little bits of sand or mites. Not usually this bad — and this is when the return chamber was really low before I figured out that was the chamber I needed to refill — but pic is an example

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
A

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're letting your water level get low (evaporation) and sucking air into the pump. Are you topping off the tank with non-saltwater?
That’s certainly a suspect. But my water level is half inch from top in display portion. And the water is *almost always like at least half inch above the baffle separating the middle and return chambers.

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your pump spitting out bubbles. Then you would need to find a solution for evaporations; manually add fresh water daily or find an ATO that keep your water line above the pump.

If you pump spitting out actual sand/dirt/mite/particles. You need to add a few sponges/filter sock like materials to trap the particles at the first chamber

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell, but looks like micro bubbles to me. Try keeping your return chamber topped off. I have an AIO and it was tricky at first.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back