Return pump/Overflow -- Power outage/Loss of siphon concern

Enzo14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I just set up my first tank and I'm trying to figure out a solution that does not break the bank or involve drilling holes into my tank. I have a 55 gal main tank with a 20 gal sump.

I have HOB overflow that runs on a "U" Shape siphon and a Staygrow DC return pump.

I have no concern if I lose power and my return pump stops working. I have balanced the water level in my sump/main tank for that scenario.

My concern is if my overflow loses siphon... spent hours figuring out the perfect amount of water that I can spare so that my main tank will not overflow. The return pump I purchased showed that "auto stop without water" so I elevated the pump inside the chamber of the sump. I tested this 3 times and the pump does not shut off when the sump runs dry and just continues to run...

Can anyone give me some guidance on what I can do? I've read drilling holes into my tank - not an option, or purchasing some sort of kill switch.

*I've attached the links to both my HOB overflow and return pump if anyone is curious*

Thanks!!!

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an Apex or Hydros you could install a leak detection kit that shuts the pump off in the event of an overflow. Tbh, I ran a very similar HOB overflow for years without any siphon break issues at all. Just be mindful of the U-tube when doing maintenance and you should be fine.

OP
OP
E

Enzo14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an Apex or Hydros you could install a leak detection kit that shuts the pump off in the event of an overflow. Tbh, I ran a very similar HOB overflow for years without any siphon break issues at all. Just be mindful of the U-tube when doing maintenance and you should be fine.
I don't have an Apex or Hydros. I have a pretty strong siphon, but I'm just trying to cover all basis.

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. I was the same when I first set it up lol. After some time, and seeing what it actually takes to break the siphon, I only thought about it when I cleaned the overflow.

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I just set up my first tank and I'm trying to figure out a solution that does not break the bank or involve drilling holes into my tank. I have a 55 gal main tank with a 20 gal sump.

I have HOB overflow that runs on a "U" Shape siphon and a Staygrow DC return pump.

I have no concern if I lose power and my return pump stops working. I have balanced the water level in my sump/main tank for that scenario.

My concern is if my overflow loses siphon... spent hours figuring out the perfect amount of water that I can spare so that my main tank will not overflow. The return pump I purchased showed that "auto stop without water" so I elevated the pump inside the chamber of the sump. I tested this 3 times and the pump does not shut off when the sump runs dry and just continues to run...

Can anyone give me some guidance on what I can do? I've read drilling holes into my tank - not an option, or purchasing some sort of kill switch.

*I've attached the links to both my HOB overflow and return pump if anyone is curious*

Thanks!!!
I dont have any experience with HOB but theoretically you can only pump the amount of water in your return compartment of your sump. There shouldnt be any overflow if you tank can hold all the extra water being pumped up.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 2 hob overflows similar to yours for 8 years on the tank in my showcase. I have never lost a syphon. I'm not sure how it could even happen to be honest. I read of people saying it happens but the only way I can cause it to happen is lifting the utube out of the water. I think them loosing syphon gets repeated by a lot of folks that have never even used hobs.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drill a siphon break in the return line from the sump just below the tank level, in the tank of course.

OP
OP
E

Enzo14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any experience with HOB but theoretically you can only pump the amount of water in your return compartment of your sump. There shouldnt be any overflow if you tank can hold all the extra water being pumped up.
I have corrected the amount of water that would combat that. But the issue I have is that how to make it so that the return pump will automatically shut off. Because, if it runs dry my ATO will boot up and will overflow.

OP
OP
E

Enzo14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drill a siphon break in the return line from the sump just below the tank level, in the tank of course.
I'm not experienced enough to drill holes in my tank. And I do not want to risk damaging the glass.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not experienced enough to drill holes in my tank. And I do not want to risk damaging the glass.
They are referring to a small hole drilled in the plastic return tube inside the tank. IMO they are a must have on any system with a sump. It allows air to enter breaking the syphon so less water drains from the tank when the pump is off. There is a better explanation here

OP
OP
E

Enzo14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency... Not so much.
Debatable, thousands of dollars of house damage caused by an overflowing tank to me warrants and emergency. I'm new to tank building so this is a concern of mine. Thanks for your input.

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corrected the amount of water that would combat that. But the issue I have is that how to make it so that the return pump will automatically shut off. Because, if it runs dry my ATO will boot up and will overflow.

You could move the ato from the return section. I have mine in my refugium and the levels are usually the same. You run the risk of running the pump dry without correct drainage but it will be peace of mind to prevent your DT from overflowing

OP
OP
E

Enzo14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could move the ato from the return section. I have mine in my refugium and the levels are usually the same. You run the risk of running the pump dry without correct drainage but it will be peace of mind to prevent your DT from overflowing
Thats a good idea to move my ATO to the refugium. I'm just trying to figure out how to have my return pump automatically turn off if there is a loss of water level if there is a siphon break on my overflow box

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good idea to move my ATO to the refugium. I'm just trying to figure out how to have my return pump automatically turn off if there is a loss of water level if there is a siphon break on my overflow box
There has to be something electronic that would do that but keep in mind that you can drain from your return line if the return stops flowing

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debatable, thousands of dollars of house damage caused by an overflowing tank to me warrants and emergency. I'm new to tank building so this is a concern of mine. Thanks for your input.
At this point it's all hypothetical, thus not a emergency, but you do you.

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

Thanks!!!
I just reread your main post. There may be a defect or switch you are missing if the pump was advertised as will shut off when run dry. I wouldnt rework your whole setup before you figure out if the issue is the particular pump. It is easy to go down a rabbit hole of panic and anxiety with this hobby. You'll lose sleep and spend lots of money if you chase all the what ifs. Its best to take things as they come up and grow with the tank.

OP
OP
E

Enzo14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point it's all hypothetical, thus not an emergency, but you do you.
So in your house you don’t have a fire alarm or fire extinguisher because you run on the assumption that it’s a hypothetical situation, got it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back