drilling tank return hole

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm still in the process of building my reef tank. Its a 125 gallon. I just got the courage up and drilled my two 2 1/4" holes for the Modular Marine low profile overflow box. It's rated at 1600 gph. The return pump is an eFlux LOOP DC 1900 GPH that I can dial in. I'm about to drill the 1 1/2" hole for my 3/4" return line but I want to make sure thats enough. I see where many of you have two returns drilled.
I have two 2100 GPH eFlux wave pumps so I'm not too worried about water movement I think. Would the one return line do it? Is there a reason I should have two? I know now's the time to do it.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm still in the process of building my reef tank. Its a 125 gallon. I just got the courage up and drilled my two 2 1/4" holes for the Modular Marine low profile overflow box. It's rated at 1600 gph. The return pump is an eFlux LOOP DC 1900 GPH that I can dial in. I'm about to drill the 1 1/2" hole for my 3/4" return line but I want to make sure thats enough. I see where many of you have two returns drilled.
I have two 2100 GPH eFlux wave pumps so I'm not too worried about water movement I think. Would the one return line do it? Is there a reason I should have two? I know now's the time to do it.
You could drill or go right over the back.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could drill or go right over the back.
Yes I wanted to keep away from over the back. I did wind up drilling them this weekend. I went with two return holes on either side, a few inches from the top and a few from the sides. Only question now is if I'm going to do two return pumps for redundancy or just tee off my single pump.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I wanted to keep away from over the back. I did wind up drilling them this weekend. I went with two return holes on either side, a few inches from the top and a few from the sides. Only question now is if I'm going to do two return pumps for redundancy or just tee off my single pump.
Two if one fails you don't loose all your filtration.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've never had a return pump fail so a single dependable pump has always been my idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back