First Time Drilling - 65G Build

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled two 1 1/2” holes for my overflow (Synergy Reef Shadow). Now just need to drill for my return lines. Synergy recommends two 3/4 return lines…am debating 1” returns though. Not sure.

The nerves were through the roof! Glad my husband was there to help guide me. From my angle it was hard to see if the bit was “even” all the way around, but I could feel the drill want to pull a certain direction.

Edited:
I attempted to attach the video, but it didn’t work :(. Here’s a link:

Last edited:

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is scary drilling holes. Been through that.

I can’t view your video. You would need to load to YouTube and then attach it to here

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is scary drilling holes. Been through that.

I can’t view your video. You would need to load to YouTube and then attach it to here

Thank you! I uploaded it to YouTube just now because it wasn’t working. Here you go:

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I drilled my first aquarium a couple of weeks ago. It was also a 65. Feels good to have done it though, doesn't it?
It does! It feels dang good

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled two 1 1/2” holes for my overflow (Synergy Reef Shadow). Now just need to drill for my return lines. Synergy recommends two 3/4 return lines…am debating 1” returns though. Not sure....
Congratulations- the first time is always nerve racking.

Regarding the return lines, I would drilling holes for 3/4in bulkheads, given the size of the tank (they will take less room than 1in bulkheads).

Then run 1in pipe on your return lines to the 3/4 bulkheads, reducing it down right at the bulkhead. This will help maximize the flow to the outlets.

For the bulkheads themselves, do slip-fit bulkheads and use our Multidapter fittings to add flush-mounted loc-line compatible connectors. We have them for 3/4in to 3/4in loc-line and 3/4in to 1/2in reduces.

Then you can run either 3/4in or 1/2in Random Flow Generator Nozzles to flow the tank

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations- the first time is always nerve racking.

Regarding the return lines, I would drilling holes for 3/4in bulkheads, given the size of the tank (they will take less room than 1in bulkheads).

Then run 1in pipe on your return lines to the 3/4 bulkheads, reducing it down right at the bulkhead. This will help maximize the flow to the outlets.

For the bulkheads themselves, do slip-fit bulkheads and use our Multidapter fittings to add flush-mounted loc-line compatible connectors. We have them for 3/4in to 3/4in loc-line and 3/4in to 1/2in reduces.

Then you can run either 3/4in or 1/2in Random Flow Generator Nozzles to flow the tank
Thank you! Taking notes and researching that info now :)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the correct tools and the right glass, drilling a hole isn't overly difficult. Most mishaps happen when people rush.

The glass will break when the drill gets hung up in the glass during the cut. This is why a bare-handed drill-in-hand approach should be left to the very experienced.

I like to use a portable drill press. It locks everything in place, so you can avoid getting hung up in the glass during the cut.

I'd bet that with the correct tools, you could even cut a hole through a piece of tempered glass if you go slowly enough.

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations. Super nerve wracking. Glad you made it through. I had a tough time solo, but it all worked out in the end. A portable drill press would have been amazing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back