return line question

reefer_madness69420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background: Setting up a 110-gallon display tank with a 24-gallon sump. My pump is an Ecotech Vectra M2. I plan to tee off the pump for symmetrical return lines (3/4 inch) on both the right and left sides of the tank. The Vectra M2, at around 3.5 feet head, provides an estimated flow rate of 1600 GPH. My overflow's recommended flow rate is 1000 GPH.
  • Equipment Setup: I'm considering running a UV inline off the left return line and carbon and GFO reactors off the right. I plan to control the flow of UV (and thus, the overall flow of the left return line) and reactors with valves. Plan to install flow sensors just before the return lines enter back into the display.
Question:
  • The left return will likely run slower than the right due to the UV's flow requirements. Is this asymmetrical flow a significant issue?
  • If not a concern, will the Vectra M2 provide sufficient flow?
Any advice or insights from those with similar setups would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The M2 suffices for this setup. You will not have any issues using valves to slow down flow to the UV and or the other outputs if you need too. Since the pump is controllable you can start with everything wide open, tweak it using the controller and then the valves (so you aren't just using extra power).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back