2 months into my 1st saltwater tank ever

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Add cleanup crew (snails and blue leg hermits) and reduce white light intensity a little.

welcome36.jpg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nature/disease took care of that. Down to 2 tangs, 2 gobys, 2 clowns and 2 chalk bass. Lots of clean up crew.
That's still a lot of fish, even for a mature tank. Most tangs aren't recommended for tanks smaller than 75 gal, as they need a lot of room to swim. I also have a 60 gal, and I won't add a tang for that reason.

When adding fish, limit it to one or two at a time to give your bacteria a chance to ramp up to handle the additional bio load. If you added these all at once or in a short period of time, chances are it caused an ammonia spike which could be why you lost a few of them.

Also, go slow and thoroughly research everything before you buy. Some species don't tolerate each other and will fight to the death.

As for algae, all new tanks go through ugly phases. It takes about a year for everything to settle down. Keep that in mind when adding corals or anemones, as many of them don't do well in new tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back