2 Months under G4 Pros

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years at this hobby and i still cant grow sps... i get negative growth regardless of what equipment and what i do... sad times

the growth looks amazing and colors are awesome, wish i could achieve half of that :)

Heymoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With G3s and CoralLab studies, they found that the optimal high is 24" (very high), with the G4s 17" sound about right (probably best colour combination), studies are very new 2016...way after ETM build the mounts for the fixtures.

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Ecotech_CoralLab_WP1.pdf
So, Since ETM provides the Coral Labs AB+ template as a preset, and makes no suggestions/recommendations on fixture height or intensity, other than what's in the Coral Labs white paper at 24" height 100% intensity, are we just guessing on intensity when using the RMS mounts at 9"?
Or is it just trial and error? Or, should we just trash the $90 RMS mounts and look to mount the fixtures higher - 17", 18", 20" etc...

PmRg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Since ETM provides the Coral Labs AB+ template as a preset, and makes no suggestions/recommendations on fixture height or intensity, other than what's in the Coral Labs white paper at 24" height 100% intensity, are we just guessing on intensity when using the RMS mounts at 9"?
Or is it just trial and error? Or, should we just trash the $90 RMS mounts and look to mount the fixtures higher - 17", 18", 20" etc...

It all depends on personal taste/results/layout/etc.... not every system is the same so CoralLab is just a baseline you need to adjust the rest according to your needs.

atm I have the lights at 18cm(7inch) from water surface with very good growth and color.

Pedro

Heymoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on personal taste/results/layout/etc.... not every system is the same so CoralLab is just a baseline you need to adjust the rest according to your needs.

atm I have the lights at 18cm(7inch) from water surface with very good growth and color.

Pedro
That's encouraging, what intensity are you set at?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Heymoose, how many G4's do you own and what's your tank dims?
As @PmRg says, it's really dependent on your specific system, even then there is plenty of leeway.

PmRg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Heymoose can you provide your current PAR values and also parameters: Ca, Mg, Kh, No3 (with a precise test if possible... I use Red Sea Pro it's very good) and Po4 (Hanna Tester if possible)

Plus what @d2mini asked I think we can help you out a bit.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may just be me but for an sps tank, i would add one more.
Or raise them up.
LPS and softies, you're fine as-is.
I have three XR30's over my 47" x 31" tank, but they are hung front to back, so 3 pucks across if that makes sense, similar to your 15's.

Instead of the RMS arm, i use the hanging version.

i-xRw9Nzt.jpg

Heymoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may just be me but for an sps tank, i would add one more.
Or raise them up.
LPS and softies, you're fine as-is.
I have three XR30's over my 47" x 31" tank, but they are hung front to back, so 3 pucks across if that makes sense, similar to your 15's.

Instead of the RMS arm, i use the hanging version.

i-xRw9Nzt.jpg
Nice - yeah I can see how another one would even the spread, although coverage appears fairly even. Definitely need to get some PAR readings. Unfortunately I'm limited with my mounting options based on the location of the tank, which is why I went with the RMS mounts.

PmRg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Heymoose you might be short on light BUT one crucial piece of info is missing :) the PAR readings. This will help you and us lot.

BTW my tank is 110x70cm and I also run 3x XR30's G4

Heymoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Heymoose you might be short on light BUT one crucial piece of info is missing :) the PAR readings. This will help you and us lot.

BTW my tank is 110x70cm and I also run 3x XR30's G4
Yes - should have the PAR Meter soon!
Btw - I noticed in the new Coral Labs AB+ program on ecosmart that
The new violet and WW channels appear to be in the program at violet 100 and WW at 24.
Could be wrong though, still trying to figure the settings and points out.

Hreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one looks like the you picked up from me. Beautiful! Always love the color on that acro. I got that colony back in 2006 from pacific east corals----I still have several mini colonies from that.
Everything looking good Dennis!

i-QrdJ9ts.jpg

i-pP7HTZj.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one looks like the you picked up from me. Beautiful! Always love the color on that acro. I got that colony back in 2006 from pacific east corals----I still have several mini colonies from that.
Three of the ones I posted in here are from you, and at least one other in my build thread. :)

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i-QrdJ9ts.jpg

i-pP7HTZj.jpg
You willing to sell any of those mini colonies? :rolleyes:

Heymoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d2mini-
Which PAR METER do you use for your readings? I'm looking to get the SQ 420 - but I understand that it's not accurate with LED's.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back