- Joined
- Sep 26, 2024
- Messages
- 1
- Reaction score
- 0
- Location
- here
- What state or country do you live in
- Virginia
ID#1:
ID#2
I have not added anything for maybe half a year before I noticed these on snails I have had for much longer (a year or three). Both images are from 2months ago. Both hitch hikers are growing on the snails shells however neither snail has behaved abnormally, so I don't think either hitch hikers are parasitic or damaging the shell. (ID#2: the thing that looks like a clump of bubble algae, that is a snail of the same species as ID#1 with bubble algae on its shell. I let the bubble algae take over so I could keep hair algae off until I have less of a hair algae invasion because it is easier to remove and hair algae grew too quickly on this ones shell)
ID#1: the tubes are not stiff as a rock where they are attached to the snail shell, but it does appear to be made out of calcium. There is a very tiny hole at the top of each tube. the green is hair algae, the tube is otherwise white. I have not seen it do anything except grow.
ID#2: The tube is kind of flexible and can bow about 90 degrees comfortably, The weird part that told me it was not some sort of feather duster was the fact that the fan part is as solid as the tube, and it is currently growing a new fan that is just as solid as the first one. It seems to filter feed, It spits out retractable clear feathery things out of the center in the top. It is not an instantaneous retractability, If you irritate it, later you will see it has gone back inside.
The new fan will get to be bigger than the first fan, The tube size will not change much, I will post a newer picture of ID#2 and ID#1 later. It currently has grown the second fan and the clear feathery bits it spits out are being refreshed so you can see an outline of the older deadish part because it is brownish.
ID#2
I have not added anything for maybe half a year before I noticed these on snails I have had for much longer (a year or three). Both images are from 2months ago. Both hitch hikers are growing on the snails shells however neither snail has behaved abnormally, so I don't think either hitch hikers are parasitic or damaging the shell. (ID#2: the thing that looks like a clump of bubble algae, that is a snail of the same species as ID#1 with bubble algae on its shell. I let the bubble algae take over so I could keep hair algae off until I have less of a hair algae invasion because it is easier to remove and hair algae grew too quickly on this ones shell)
ID#1: the tubes are not stiff as a rock where they are attached to the snail shell, but it does appear to be made out of calcium. There is a very tiny hole at the top of each tube. the green is hair algae, the tube is otherwise white. I have not seen it do anything except grow.
ID#2: The tube is kind of flexible and can bow about 90 degrees comfortably, The weird part that told me it was not some sort of feather duster was the fact that the fan part is as solid as the tube, and it is currently growing a new fan that is just as solid as the first one. It seems to filter feed, It spits out retractable clear feathery things out of the center in the top. It is not an instantaneous retractability, If you irritate it, later you will see it has gone back inside.
The new fan will get to be bigger than the first fan, The tube size will not change much, I will post a newer picture of ID#2 and ID#1 later. It currently has grown the second fan and the clear feathery bits it spits out are being refreshed so you can see an outline of the older deadish part because it is brownish.
