2 part issue

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been dozing 2 part. I generally only dose alkalinity. About 16 ml a day plus 1 gallon of auto water change. But I read it’s best to dose equal parts calcium and alkalinity. 4 days after doing calcium I jumped from 430 ppm to 540 ppm on calcium which is much higher than I wanted.

Should I just make casual adjustments to calcium as needed or keep dosing equally and let the tank work it out.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a new tank. You only need to dose what your tank is consuming. Keep your alk stable and check on your calcium and adjust as needed. What's in your tank that is consuming alk? Is it precipitating out maybe?

OP
OP
DazAquariums

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 12 month old tank. I have various sps and lps and wall of coralline on the back glass. Most started as frags and now mini colonies

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16ml of calcium a day plus whatever is replenished during the auto water change. So a total of 64ml over all.

This doesn't tell us anything useful. There are dozens of calcium supplements for reef aquaria on the market. Realistically, you should be doing the legwork here. You should look up your calcium supplement and use a calculator to know how much 16 mL is supposed to increase calcium in your tank.

If you're going to make us do that work for you, we at least need to know what supplement you dosed. We also need to know how large your tank is.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back