2 part + kalk stirrer

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the point! I dose two part but I often toss a tsp of kalk into my top off for the pH bump. I just got a TLF kalk stirrer and was wondering how I would integrate the two without throwing things out of wack.

I hate the crud that builds in my ATO container so isolating it to the reactor seems ideal but I'm worried if it's always super saturated or I can have it dose a little weaker solution?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the point! I dose two part but I often toss a tsp of kalk into my top off for the pH bump. I just got a TLF kalk stirrer and was wondering how I would integrate the two without throwing things out of wack.

I hate the crud that builds in my ATO container so isolating it to the reactor seems ideal but I'm worried if it's always super saturated or I can have it dose a little weaker solution?
I use a kalk stirrer and 2 part. I’m a fan of kalk and dose 4.5 LPD in my 180 gallon tank. Then I add 2 part to get up to my desired calcium and alkalinity levels. My ATO is independent of both of these.

How it works for you will depend on your current alkalinity levels. Often, when a tank is young, you can get away with only kalk. Whatever you do, be sure to test often.

A kalk stirrer will work best with a little extra on the bottom, ensuring the solution is saturated.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love kalk but I would never link kalk to the ATO. I have done it in the past and had way too many problems. I would use a separate pump with a timer or Apex outlet and control the dose by time. This way if you bag up some frags for a friend or have a reactor leak a gallon of water on the floor the ATO won’t add a gallon of kalk. I would dose as much kalk as possible and as little 2 part since the 2 part is more expensive and will raise salinity.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. It seems like I'm just asking for a lot of work and maintenance. My backup is Randy's High PH two part but if I have to use a separate ato and all that then it's best I sell or park it.

How do you control saturation? Is it always saturated? Can I put less kalk in and get less strength?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. It seems like I'm just asking for a lot of work and maintenance. My backup is Randy's High PH two part but if I have to use a separate ato and all that then it's best I sell or park it.

How do you control saturation? Is it always saturated? Can I put less kalk in and get less strength?
If there is solid kalk (calcium hydroxide) on the bottom, the solution is saturated. Note that there can be solid calcium carbonate on the bottom as well. You can put less kalk in an ATO and get less strength. If you do it in a stirrer, the solution will get progressively less concentrated as more water is added.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used limewater on my ATO for 20 years and it was fine, but I do think more controlled dosing amounts is a fine plan. :)

Is my best bet just sticking with the NaOh than adding kalk? It's another thing to buy and maintain. Do you use your high pH method instead or in tandem with the Kalk? @Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my best bet just sticking with the NaOh than adding kalk? It's another thing to buy and maintain. Do you use your high pH method instead or in tandem with the Kalk? @Randy Holmes-Farley

If you are using the hydroxide DIY, there's no advantage to also using kalkwasser.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back