2 part or kalk

tank of gems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes kalk will raise your ph so keep an eye on it and its best to dose kslk thu your ato

tank of gems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What 2 part are you doing. And usually kalk does raise it more. You have to keep an eye on it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three basic inorganic chemicals that can be dosed to boost alkalinity: bicarbonate, carbonate, and hydroxide.

Two parts can be made with all three.

The typical BRS two part uses carbonate and has about half the pH boost per unit of alk added as does hydroxide that is present in limewater (kalkwasser) and in a DIY two part that some folks use. Bicarbonate has no immediate pH boost.

palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently doing kalkwasser because for the last two years I have moved from SPS to mostly LPS-
Best results I had was using ESV 2 part - I had amazing growth but was expensive to run

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three basic inorganic chemicals that can be dosed to boost alkalinity: bicarbonate, carbonate, and hydroxide.

Two parts can be made with all three.

The typical BRS two part uses carbonate and has about half the pH boost per unit of alk added as does hydroxide that is present in limewater (kalkwasser) and in a DIY two part that some folks use. Bicarbonate has no immediate pH boost.
Hey @Randy Holmes-Farley

As you may or may not know ESV factory has shut down at this point (due to COVID). Stores here in Canada say at least a month before restock.

Getting ESV Two Part is harder than getting Toilet Paper at this poing.
I still have enought to last me 3-4 weeks but am planning for a Plan B.

I used to make your two part. When I wasn't so lazy.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

I do have a Jar or Turbo Calcium, and the other ingredients. Even a 1/2 Bucket of Dow Flake (that is years old).

QUESTION #1) Can I used the Dow Flake (that was in a sealed bucket). Even if over 5 year old?

QUESTION #2) When I switch to your TWO Part Formulas. What can to do to test the Alk/Calcium concentrations (between your Two Part and ESV) so I have some kind of GUT feeling on how to adjust my Dosing. (Just dilute down with RO and compare the two by testing?)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old Dowflake will be fine. Might be hard as a rock, but is OK even if you have the chisel it out (clean the chisel well). I've done that.

My recipe #1 is 32% less potent than B-ionic original. Use this calcualtor to compare:

Back