2-Part Precipitation Woes...

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! I'm having an odd precipitation issue and thought the minds here on R2R can possibly help me sort it out!

Tank stats are as follows:

ALK: 7.8-8.1
CAL: 380
MAG: 1395
TMP: 78.9-79.3F
SG: 1.026-1.027

My problem is as follows, when this tank first started up and running I was dosing 2-part to satisfy the demand of the corals. As the demand increased, I increased the dose accordingly and tracked everything with a Trident and manual testing from time to time. A few months back I had some sort of precipitation issue where my tank kept demanding more and more 2-part to maintain the desired levels. I let the levels drift down and restarted dosing with BRS Baking Soda as my Alkalinity part. Prior to this I was using ESV BIONIC Alkalinity, but my suspicion was that it was precipitating for some reason. So I've been doing the baking soda alk mix and it's maintaining my alk levels but requires a large amount to do so, as well as lowers my PH quite a bit. I tried an experiment today adding Sodium Bicarbonate mix to a high flow area, and also adding ESV BIONIC Alkalinity to the same spot. You can see from below the difference, and how much precipitation is caused by adding the BIONIC.

WHY IS THIS?

I went over a year dosing BIONIC with zero hiccups, then all the sudden I cannot dose any without major precipitation? I don't understand what the imbalance is or how to correct it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20210419-171527__01__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210419-171514__01__01.jpg

VIDEOS OF THE DIFFERENCE:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the trident readings with a good test kit like salifert?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing Bionic 2 part for the same reason. Seemed when I got up to 90 ml each of the 2 part/day, the precipitation started and killed some of my corals. Stopped the 2 part and switched to a calcium reactor.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back