2 Questions

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have 2 questions. First, what is the red stuff on this Lobo picture? Should I be concerned?
Second, are there standard numbers for PAR to go by? I've been reading some well known and reliable vendors articles about lighting care for corals. Some say anything higher than 150 PAR is considered high. Some say anything above 250 is considered high. In the next couple weeks I want to start taking a stab at some SPS (montis and birdsnest).

Thanks for the help!

20240214_075053.jpg

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

Wait for an expert here but that red spot on the left looks like it could be a planaria flatworm..

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the red doesn’t move then it’s not flatworms I guess and could just be something encrusting the surface. Just keep a close eye on it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, what is the red stuff on this Lobo picture? Should I be concerned?
Hard to say from the pic what it is for sure - if the patch on the left is the same as the patches on the right, then benthic foraminifera is a good guess, and you could verify it by seeing if it feels hard/solid or soft. If it feels solid, then it's a foraminiferan.
Second, are there standard numbers for PAR to go by? I've been reading some well known and reliable vendors articles about lighting care for corals. Some say anything higher than 150 PAR is considered high. Some say anything above 250 is considered high.
Sort of, but not really, no. Proper lighting depends on both the PAR and the spectrum of the light - due to the variability of the spectrum between fixtures (or types of fixtures), 150 might be considered high for one light, but low for another (this is why we see things like people saying one PAR level is fine for lights like metal halides, but could burn your corals under LED's).

So, while you can use some ballpark guidelines, it's important to remember that they're just that - ballpark guidelines, not hard and fast rules. They might work for your light, or they might not.

That said, if you know what light you're working with, there's a good chance you can find good info for that specific light on the forum here (or at least a ballpark estimate from similar lights).

OP
OP
M

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say from the pic what it is for sure - if the patch on the left is the same as the patches on the right, then benthic foraminifera is a good guess, and you could verify it by seeing if it feels hard/solid or soft. If it feels solid, then it's a foraminiferan.

Sort of, but not really, no. Proper lighting depends on both the PAR and the spectrum of the light - due to the variability of the spectrum between fixtures (or types of fixtures), 150 might be considered high for one light, but low for another (this is why we see things like people saying one PAR level is fine for lights like metal halides, but could burn your corals under LED's).

So, while you can use some ballpark guidelines, it's important to remember that they're just that - ballpark guidelines, not hard and fast rules. They might work for your light, or they might not.

That said, if you know what light you're working with, there's a good chance you can find good info for that specific light on the forum here (or at least a ballpark estimate from similar lights).
Thank you! I'm using 3 150w Nicrews. I was able to get a Parwise and my PAR was way low than I thought so I'm gradually bringing it up at 5% every week. Top 3rd is currently anywhere from 150 to 200. Middle is anywhere from 100 to 150. Bottom is anywhere 30 to 100. 4 MP40s pushing water, 2 on each side staggered. All are on Lagoon Mode with 2 on synced and the other side is anti-sync.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm using 3 150w Nicrews. I was able to get a Parwise and my PAR was way low than I thought so I'm gradually bringing it up at 5% every week. Top 3rd is currently anywhere from 150 to 200. Middle is anywhere from 100 to 150. Bottom is anywhere 30 to 100. 4 MP40s pushing water, 2 on each side staggered. All are on Lagoon Mode with 2 on synced and the other side is anti-sync.
Yeah, if you're trying to grow high light requiring corals, then you might want it a bit higher, but - to my knowledge- that range should be fine for low-moderate light needs, and may be enough for some of the lower end of high light needs.

That said, I'd say to ask in the lighting forum here on R2R and see if some of the members with more coral experience can give you a specific range to aim for for the corals you want to keep.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back