Are we underestimating LPS?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mostly aimed at LPS coral however it does cover all of them - LPS, SPS and Softies.

Do we underestimate what LPS can withstand?

I see it constantly where we say an elegance is best under 100-200 PAR or a Goni is best under 250 PAR, but are we underestimating them?
Another way I see we may be underestimating coral is when we talk about flow. A Goni is best in flow that just slowly moves its polyps round (usually medium flow). And a Catiphyllia can’t be in really high flow.
Yet, here’s some of my LPS I’ve got in my nano, 300 PAR on the sand, somewhat high flow. It’s designed to grow clams in 400 PAR on the rock and yet my LPS thrive. I’ve even had hammers in this tank thrive and grow at an insane rate, same with torches.
So, my question is, (as stated above) are we underestimating coral?
IMG_9344.jpeg

P.s. These photos are taken during a water change so some are closed up.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe as stated everything can adapt. I have seen cataphylia image that shows exposed out of water during tide and doing fine.

I believe it is consistency thats key. Even if its inconsistent lol. Be consistently inconsistent. This way they are exposed to wide range. This can apply I believe to all corals. Definetly a good topic.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just noted they grow far slower under higher par. However this effect may not be noticed if the higher par is distributed under more wavelengths that don't cause photosaturation so easily

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised to see Acans hating high par, my echinata seems to love the PAR, albeit he is on the edge. But still gets around 275-300 during the height of the lights on period.
IMG_9341.jpeg

I even get feeding responses every so often from this coral in the day!

bgray98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas are at about 175 par and the color and growth is crazy! I like to keep my Acans and favia around the 150-180. It seems they are nice and happy in my tank for that par! I have a friend who blasts his Goni with flow and it is always looking beautiful!

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe people who have par meters can take a reading of what their different corals are growing at and make a chart with those numbers. Give an idea of ranges they can grow under. While this will be skewed based on other factors, this would give a good idea and show at least a general idea. Granted this is far from perfect but would show what works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back