2 Rapid Fish Deaths

Pittsburgh88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed last night that my flame Angel looked to be stuck between 2 rocks once I freed him he swam away but looked terrible almost like he had brooknella? His scales were very cloudy and almost looked like ich as well. Got home today my yellow tang was dead and so was the flame angel my anemone was in the process of eating the tang so couldn't get a good look at what happened. Pulled them both out and prepping a large water change as we speak. My other inverts and fish look fine and healthy corals look happy etc.. what happened???

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella is definitely a possibility, or marine velvet. Do you have any photos?

In either case, a QT is necessary. Each remaining fish should get a freshwater dip followed by an antiseptic bath (acriflavine is my preference, ruby reef rally or API fungus cure) and transfer to QT with metroplex (for brook) and copper (velvet) at the ready.

Copper will need raised to therapeutic over 2–3 days, preferably within 48 hours with velvet. You’ll need either a Hanna checker, or a test kit that works with whatever copper form you choose (ionic like Cupramine, or chelated like copper power)

Time is not on your side, usually by the time you see losses the surviving fish are receiving serious damage to the gills.

This emergency protocol for velvet (post #2) will work for both, with the modification of including metroplex with the copper for at least 14 days to cover Brooklynella:

Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/&share_type=t

OP
OP
Pittsburgh88

Pittsburgh88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella is definitely a possibility, or marine velvet. Do you have any photos?

In either case, a QT is necessary. Each remaining fish should get a freshwater dip followed by an antiseptic bath (acriflavine is my preference, ruby reef rally or API fungus cure) and transfer to QT with metroplex (for brook) and copper (velvet) at the ready.

Copper will need raised to therapeutic over 2–3 days, preferably within 48 hours with velvet. You’ll need either a Hanna checker, or a test kit that works with whatever copper form you choose (ionic like Cupramine, or chelated like copper power)

Time is not on your side, usually by the time you see losses the surviving fish are receiving serious damage to the gills.

This emergency protocol for velvet (post #2) will work for both, with the modification of including metroplex with the copper for at least 14 days to cover Brooklynella:

Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/&share_type=t
Thank you! Unfortunately I did not snap any pics before I disposed of the fish, are all the treatments above invert and coral safe?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Unfortunately I did not snap any pics before I disposed of the fish, are all the treatments above invert and coral safe?

No unfortunately, there is no reef-safe treatment for brook or velvet. These treatments should be done in a QT, and the display left fallow (fishless) for 6 weeks. 76 days fallow will take care of ich as well.

OP
OP
Pittsburgh88

Pittsburgh88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No unfortunately, there is no reef-safe treatment for brook or velvet. These treatments should be done in a QT, and the display left fallow (fishless) for 6 weeks. 76 days fallow will take care of ich as well.
Thank you I will have to get a QT setup hopefully in time.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will have to get a QT setup hopefully in time.

Craigslist is a great place to buy someone’s old FW setup cheap.
Tank, hob filter, heater, cover, light, etc. I would also recommend a seachem ammonia badge and an air stone.

OP
OP
Pittsburgh88

Pittsburgh88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craigslist is a great place to buy someone’s old FW setup cheap.
Tank, hob filter, heater, cover, light, etc. I would also recommend a seachem ammonia badge and an air stone.
Is there any disease that just affects Tangs/Angel's? All my other fish look perfectly healthy. Eating swimming etc

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any disease that just affects Tangs/Angel's? All my other fish look perfectly healthy. Eating swimming etc

Some are more quickly affected because of thinner slime coats. This is why Wrasses are known as. Typhoid Mary’s.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.0%
Back