2 skimmers to boost ph?

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting tired of cleaning out my recirculating c02 scrubber. it just always seems to get soaking wet. Would there be any PH benefit to running a 2nd skimmer? This 2nd skimmer wouldn't remove any nutrients, it would just be there to mix air.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting tired of cleaning out my recirculating c02 scrubber. it just always seems to get soaking wet. Would there be any PH benefit to running a 2nd skimmer? This 2nd skimmer wouldn't remove any nutrients, it would just be there to mix air.
Do you have a fluid collection cup between the skimmed lid and the co2 scrubber? If not, you need to put something between the two that was the liquid is collected and doesn't get your media soaked.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diminishing returns. If you don't already have the air intake line run outside (or even into a vented attic or soffit), I'd prioritize that. Are you dosing something like kalk?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need something like this between the Skimmer lid and the CO2 Scrubber if your media is getting wet. You can make one yourself, or just buy one: https://fishofhex.com/collections/s...mate-collection-container-flat-with-screw-nut

Also, if it's getting wet because your skimmer is overflowing, get a skimmer overflow sensor... I got one for my Hydros, but AutoAqua makes one that's relatively cheap if you don't have a Hydros or other controller...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A second skimmer would be counter productive, with one aerating with high CO2 air and the other with low CO2 air.

I'd either adjust the recirculation, or stop it entirely. I'm not a fan of 10)% recirculating scrubbers anyway. IT takes away the oxygenating ability of the skimmer.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a fluid collection cup between the skimmed lid and the co2 scrubber? If not, you need to put something between the two that was the liquid is collected and doesn't get your media soaked.
yes, i've tried that. i'm trying this now. i take a long hose and coil it up forcing the air to travel upwards. I'm hoping that it releases all the humidity and it just drips back into the skimmer collection cup.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, i've tried that. i'm trying this now. i take a long hose and coil it up forcing the air to travel upwards. I'm hoping that it releases all the humidity and it just drips back into the skimmer collection cup.
Is the co2 scrubber above, below, or the same height as the container? It should be above to keep and liquids out of it. My reactor has a very thin layer of water in it, but all other water is collected in the container. A photo of your setup may help.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back