2 tangs exhibiting symptoms of illness

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Powder Brown and a Scopas both showing pinched stomachs and not eating. They're both in different tanks. The PB still comes out but is lethargic. Breathing looks normal and no visible signs of anything on the skin. Other fishes, including a Hippo tang, are all fine with no symptoms in the tank with the PB. When I feed it'll swim around but won't touch anything. Same thing with the Scopas but it's hiding and not coming out even during feeding. Again other fishes in tank with Scopas are fine. The 2 are pretty much the boss of their respective tanks so I don't think it's stress from aggression either.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Powder Brown and a Scopas both showing pinched stomachs and not eating. They're both in different tanks. The PB still comes out but is lethargic. Breathing looks normal and no visible signs of anything on the skin. Other fishes, including a Hippo tang, are all fine with no symptoms in the tank with the PB. When I feed it'll swim around but won't touch anything. Same thing with the Scopas but it's hiding and not coming out even during feeding. Again other fishes in tank with Scopas are fine. The 2 are pretty much the boss of their respective tanks so I don't think it's stress from aggression either.
Do you see the link in my signature - click on that it will give you a list of questions to answer - you have a complicated situation - and it would be best to get all of the answers:).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please post video of at least 20-30 seconds under white light intensity as its near impossible to assess what you have without seeing the fish

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PB has been in my RS 425 for about 3 yrs. Never got sick and got along fine enough with the Hippo. Scopas was added about 3 weeks ago to a 50g cube. Was eating and swimming around until around a week ago.

So I had some leftover Metroplex, Focus and API General Cure. Scopas refused to eat so had to dose the Metroplex into the water. Good news is that it looks to be responding well to the medication and is now out swimming and eating. I've added some more Metroplex, Focus and General Cure to some of that powder food that you have to mix into a dough and place on the glass. It's nibbling on that as well. I think it should be ok.

For the PB I couldn't get it to eat and dosing into the water column isn't going to work since I don't have enough medication. After about an hr last night I was able to net it and it's now in a 30g getting medicated as well. Tried some frozen this morning but still not interested. Will try sticking some of the dough on the glass to see if it'll take it. I'll see about getting some nori later for the both of them too.

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Scopas looks like it's going to be ok. Continuing to eat and swim around tank.

PBrnT still refusing to eat as of this morning. On 3rd day of QT (yesterday) I dosed 1tsp of Prazipro. I have attached a video as well. Breathing looks to be slightly elevated. Other than slight bruising on one side near the tail from swiping my scraper when I was trying to catch him I see no other signs of external issues. All tank mates from DT are still fine.

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT is on road to recovery after 2nd round of prazipro. It's eating and coming out to the glass when I approach. Will try introducing back into the DT tonight. Hopefully the Hippo won't give it too much trouble.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you update a brief list of any problems still going on? Hopefully you've conquered them:)

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you update a brief list of any problems still going on? Hopefully you've conquered them:)

Scopas is looking good and all signs suggest it'll make it. It's aggressively going for food when fed and actively swimming around tank throughout the day.

PBT was still refusing food (frozen, pellets and flake) a few days ago. I got some dried nori and tied to a rock and that's when I first saw it eat again. Since then it's been taking flake and frozen again like it use too. Again it's coming up to the glass whenever I come to the tank for inspection. Bruising on skin appears to have healed and colors have returned to normal. Not noticing anything else so I think it's ready to go back in to DT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back