2 Weeks into my Cycle

BatmanDarsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started my aquarium 2 weeks ago today. This is my first aquarium ever and I'm super excited to have my own little piece of paradise in my living room. 35g with 31 lbs of live rock a 150 watt heater, 306 Fluval canister filter with the stock bio media it came with and TaoTonics dimmable LEDS. So I have been running my temperature at 77 degrees. Yesterday I tested the water had Salinity was 1.024,ph 8.2ppm,NO2 0ppm, NO3 was between 0-5.0ppm, ammonia .50ppm, I have been checking every 3 days to see if my ammonia is rising and it has raised some and I have one raw shrimp buried under the sand. Since the first one I put in a week ago got dragged under the rock and was gone. 2 days ago I noticed Bristle worms and yesterday I noticed red algae on my outtake and intake for my filter. I've read that I should wait at last a month before I add my CUC, but me and my wife do not like the sight of the bristle worms. Also isn't it a little early for algae to start growing? Any input would be greatly appreciated and look forward to hearing from people.

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting a raw shrimp under the sand is a practice I have never heard of or done. I have buried a dead "starter fish" like a damsel. You should start by getting the ammonia out of there and get some clean up crew critters. I would remove the bristle worms if I were you. You dont want those things taking over, but my guess was the raw shrimp was an excellent colony starting food source. If you dont have corals, you can try leaving your lights off. Some choose patterns of one day on, two off. It will help to get rid of the starting algae until you can get some critters in there to pull the junk off as they search for food.

OP
OP
B

BatmanDarsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to add my CUC to early everything I have read patience is key. I was going to wait 3-4 before I added them and I want to get a coral shrimp to take care of the bristle worms.

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I would try turning the light off for longer periods of time to help kill some of the red stuff. you dont want it taking over before you even get started, haha. Good luck!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water source? How is the flow? It's a little early to start seeing Cyanobacteria. Tell your wife to get over it, a healthy abudance of diversity is the goal not a sterile box with fish in it. Wait until you see 0 detectable values for ammonia and nitrite before adding a cuc.
Congratulations on making your dream to have a little pieces of paradise come true. Remember it's a hobby not a race, you'll save money and find the hobby more rewarding if your patient.

Edit:Bristleworms are part of your clean up crew and you'll not be able to rid your tank of them entirely. Limiting the available food source keeps their numbers in check. Very few members of the typical clean up crew will take care of or eat bristleworms.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BatmanDarsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used filtered well water and my filter is rated for 303 gph. I don't have a pumphead or a protein skimmer. The flow looks good on the top but not sure how to see towards the bottom of the tank. My only concern with the bristle worms is I've read they can be bad to certain corals, I don't mind them cleaning just don't kill my coral when I get them.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to test the well water for phosphates and nitrates. You'll also need some power heads. Your corals will face a lot of challenges, the typical bristleworm will be least of them. There are other types of predatory worms, the common bristleworm you see in this hobby is benign.
Testing the water for nutrients and adding more flow will help address/trouble shoot the cyanobacteria growth.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bristleworm has a nasty cousin, the fireworm - THOSE are the ones you have to watch out for. Not too hard to spot, though. They're quite red.

If your corals aren't extending their polyps and/or your fish are getting blown around or seeking shelter out of the current to rest a lot, you have too much flow. Otherwise, it's pretty much good. Keep in mind that SPS like more flow than some LPS can handle. Something else I recently learned is that the stronger the lighting, the more flow is needed.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no powerheads within the display correct? If you have none you need to add some. Despite the rating on the canisterfilter you'll still need enough flow in the display to provide good surface agitation and a good cross current flow in the display. For mod flow you'll want 30x-40x, look at this power head for instance:
Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead

It's hard to get too much flow unless you go with MP's or WP's.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any cuc until your cycle is complete. That you are getting ammonia is a good sign. You don't want to remove the ammonia, you want the bacteria to build up to consume it as in the cycle. I would take the shrimp out from under the sand, I've not heard of that either.....you can then ghost feed a pinch or so of food (I've read every other day) to keep the cycle moving. You will want some movement in the tank to help in many respects. I would keep the lights off while you're cycling, that will keep algae down....

OP
OP
B

BatmanDarsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the shrimp up under the sand is just like ghost feeding, it's food still decomposing. I'll look into a powerhead, I just didn't think I needed one since its kinda a small tank and I could see water movement all on the top of the water thanks for the help guys any other suggestions.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp in the sand, out of the sand makes no difference, it just decaying organic matter, it does not matter where it decays just as long as it's in the tank.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI,

DUE to cost I worked my way into this hobby. Started with just a canister filter with spray bar and kept fish and live rock no problem. I added a protein skimmer (JNS HOB highly recommend it) and kept anemone and lots of LPS. No problem. This was all in my 46 gallon.

I just upgraded to a 60 gallon and got the Jaebo WP 25 wavemaker. I love it and it's a great price. It's too big for your tank but I think they make a smaller WP10.

So if you want croaks, I highly recommend a protein skimmer, and in a tank your size the filters will provide adequate flow.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else I recently learned is that the stronger the lighting, the more flow is needed.

Can you elaborate on this please? Its something I have never heard before.

You will definitely need more flow than what you currently have. I'm not sure how many gph your filter is, but it can't turn the tank over more than 8 per hour by itself. I always shot for 30 times per hour. My 29 currently has around 1600 gallons per hour moved through it. I would suggest getting 1 jeabo wp 25 for your tank. I have 1 in my 29 along with a seio superflow 620 and a 175 gph hob.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the flow is quite nice. The seio counters the wp25. I can't run the wp25 on any other setting than w1. Now the 40 with 2 wp25 cranked full blast in else mode is something to see!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back