My tank cycling stalled? Ammonia level doesn't move.

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater, but used to keep several freshwater tanks before and am familiar with aquarium cycling.
About a month ago, I cycling 50g tank with two clownfish. First ammonia presence was detected 12 days ago at 0.15ppm. Did test 6 days ago and ammonia was on the same level (0s for nitrites and nitrates). Today my ammonia level seems to be even lower (around 0.1ppm) and still no nitrites/nitrates.
I don't do any water changes, so why the level is not increasing?
Clowns are fed 2-3 times/day. There are diatoms in the tank.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a bad test kit. If the clowns are not dead in in 30 days your good to go

OP
OP
O

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Good to go" may not be enough since I've heard that some tanks take over 2 months to cycle.
I use API tests and know that they can be unreliable, though it would be very strange if all three tests showed incorrect values. I expected to have at least more noticeable ammonia levels and some nitrites already. If my tank cycled extra fast by some miracle (though it shouldn't happen with just live sand, dry rock and some bacteria in bottles), I would expect to see nitrates already.
BTW, my test kit is still fresh, so expiration date is not in play.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Good to go" may not be enough since I've heard that some tanks take over 2 months to cycle.
I use API tests and know that they can be unreliable, though it would be very strange if all three tests showed incorrect values. I expected to have at least more noticeable ammonia levels and some nitrites already. If my tank cycled extra fast by some miracle (though it shouldn't happen with just live sand, dry rock and some bacteria in bottles), I would expect to see nitrates already.
BTW, my test kit is still fresh, so expiration date is not in play.
Do you have a nitrate reading? As mentioned the API tests are notorious for false positives when ammonia is concerned.

OP
OP
O

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"0" nitrites, "0" nitrates since I started testing on Feb 24. I haven't tested for first two weeks since I started cycling (added clowns) assuming that nothing couldn't happen that fast. And, if something could happen, I would have nitrates present.

OP
OP
O

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the second thought, I've got diatoms about two weeks ago right after I turned lights on (I know, it was wrong to do) and, from what I've learnt, diatoms consume nitrates. So can it be that the tank cycled in first two weeks and no nitrate reading is due to diatoms growing in the tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For peace of mind purchase some dr tims or fritz turbo. This will guarantee the tank cycling as it should be.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the second thought, I've got diatoms about two weeks ago right after I turned lights on (I know, it was wrong to do) and, from what I've learnt, diatoms consume nitrates. So can it be that the tank cycled in first two weeks and no nitrate reading is due to diatoms growing in the tank?
Have you tested nitrates correctly? By that, I mean have you shaken the living daylights out of bottle No 2 before adding drops to the vial? That said, you've got a very low bioload, maybe not enough to detect reliably with a cheap kit.

OP
OP
O

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tim's One and only and API Quick Start when starting the tank.
And yes, all shaking has been done "vigorously".

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tim's One and only and API Quick Start when starting the tank.
And yes, all shaking has been done "vigorously".
Try some new fresh saltwater made with RODI, it may be a tiny bit more yellow than the tankwater. How are you measuring ammonia btw?

Edit - 0.15 ammonia seems very precise for API

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my tank cycled extra fast by some miracle (though it shouldn't happen with just live sand, dry rock and some bacteria in bottles), I would expect to see nitrates already.

"Some bacteria in bottles" have actually been proven to be safe and effective cycle starters. No miracles needed. I'd expect to see some measurable nitrite or nitrate by now as well but the reality is as long as ammonia is being processed you are safe to start stocking slowly. Nitrite is not harmful to marine fish at the levels we experience. Once ammonia is being processed, the rest will follow. A traditional cycle without bottled bac takes about 4 weeks.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one update to this thread, there was a telling sentence in the opening description, the last sentence:

There are diatoms in the tank.

at no time is any system sitting long enough to have diatom grow unable to control ammonia. those life forms come after, and never before ability to handle normal/typical starting bioloads. rule of visual benthic clues in cycle troubleshoots. is this tank up and running now

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back