2 Wrasses Dead

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had pretty good luck so far... I started my tank in October, flushed one fish months ago from Petco that immediately showed signs of a bacterial infection, but now have lost 2 Wrasses from a reputable LFS. Could my Emerald crabs be attacking them while they sleep (though I haven't noticed any sign of attack on their bodies)? Are they more likely to get an infection? The only thing I've noticed, on the second one, is his eyes bulging, but he was really far gone at that point (after hiding for 3 days). Water parameters are good, temp fairly constant at 78.7°. The first wrasse was a typical male Solorensis, the second was a Ruby Headed wrasse (don't get me started on the "is it this, or is it that" - I'm not sure). Other inhabitants include 2 Ocellaris, 1 Tomini Tang, 1 Chromis, 1purple firefish, 1gold barred jaw fish, 3 Emerald crabs, 2 turbo snails, hermits, sand-sifter starfish, 1 RBTA, 1 tube anemone, 1 hammer coral.... More corals, let me know if something else might be important. All in a 90 gallon dt, 30 sump, skimmer, 6 light T5, 100 lbs live rock. My other fish are fine. I just want to know what might have caused the deaths, if possible, so I can possibly prevent more deaths in the future. I don't plan on getting another wrasse any time soon! Or any fish for that matter. Unless someone has a lead on a white tiger goby!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually crabs wont attack fish unless the fish is already in a weakened state or the crabs are hungry enough to hunt, which most often is not the case.

Bulging ayes can be an infection after injury, if affecting one eye, or an indication of poor water quality or a super high amount of stressors if affecting both eyes.

Looking at the inhabitants, the most likely scenario, though by no means definite, is the possibility of being stung by one of your anemones. Wrasses have the habit of darting without always looking where they are going, especially when new to a tank. Most times the slime coat of a healthy fish will protect him from incidental brushes with anemone stings, but stressed fish dont produce a slime coat properly and it could also get damaged by a fish net when being transferred to a tank.

This is only an educated guess based on experience and not necessarily the case, but a probability nonetheless.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing anything special for them before introduction or straight to the display tank? Wrasses are very stress prone little fish and will hide to their death if scared enough. Trying using an acclimation box to give them a place to chill out and get used to things. Unless you have one of those big hermit crabs I don't think they would be an issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back