Multiple Wrasses large tank

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to get a few wrasses in the next couple days in my 340 gallon display (going on 7 - 8 years in operation). I'm leaning towards the following:
Large Pintail Fairy Wrasse
3 x black leopard wrasses
Whipfin male fairy wrasse (extra large ~ 4")

Any compatability issues with those amongst themselves. I haved 3 tangs (the oldest around 11 years old), 2 royal grammas, 2 barred gobies, 2 x bellus angelfish, Lamarck's angel fish, golden head sleeper goby, diamond goby.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to get a few wrasses in the next couple days in my 340 gallon display (going on 7 - 8 years in operation). I'm leaning towards the following:

Any compatability issues with those amongst themselves. I haved 3 tangs (the oldest around 11 years old), 2 royal grammas, 2 barred gobies, 2 x bellus angelfish, Lamarck's angel fish, golden head sleeper goby, diamond goby.
In a tank that size, I wouldn’t be too worried. The Whipfin can be a bit of a bully to other fairy or flasher wrasses over time. Especially if you intend to introduce more fairy wrasses later. The Lamarck’s angel is also a potential threat (especially depending on size) but using an acclimation box for a day or two to see reaction might help rule that out. As a fellow planktivore, they can see the fairy wrasses as a food threat.

Always good to introduce new fish in groups as this can soften any territorial disputes being targeted at a single fish.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is about the same size as mine. Even with a large tank, the Whipfin may be problem for the Pintail because one is very agressive while the other is very docile. Let us know how it turn out if you indeed do this.
If you do add the Pintail first and wait until he is established before adding the Whipfin.

Then there is the fact that VERY large Fairy wrasses will not live VERY long at all.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is about the same size as mine. Even with a large tank, the Whipfin may be problem for the Pintail because one is very agressive while the other is very docile. Let us know how it turn out if you indeed do this.
If you do add the Pintail first and wait until he is established before adding the Whipfin.

Then there is the fact that VERY large Fairy wrasses will not live VERY long at all.
I’ll second the lifespan issue. I had some terminal males I’ve purchased that were a good size and a couple of them only made it about 3 years.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an 8 year tank I'm learning life spans of fish. My angels and tangs I suspect will live longer than me. Most others it seems have a 2-5 year life span. Here's to hoping longer than that. But, I don't know how people keep their tanks stocked with fish at these prices. I just doubled the number of fish I have from 12 to 24, But it still seems empty. Lol.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only thing with buying large old terminal super male fairy wrasse is they likely only have a year or less of their natural lifespan left. Something to consider

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, the leopard wrasses are so tiny. I've only seen one out at night. He's maybe half inch in size, but he's constantly pecking at the sand bed assuming eating pods. But he looks like he's swimming around chasing things on the sand bed. Ignores all my large fish. The fairy wrasse is pretty but he's found hiding spots in the rocks and swims out for food occasionally. So, seems to be doing o.k. but staying in the rocks mostly. My Caribbean blue tang seems the most agitated at the addition of more fish. He's close to 12" in diamter and has a large scrape on one side of him like he scraped himself on a coral or something. But he's not really chasing fish just darting in and out of rocks extremely rapidly like he's mad there's an invasion of his entire kingdom. So far, no one appears to be bullied or targeted by any fish. My Lamark's angel actually chased my bellus angels more than usual. I think he wants to mate with them.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear so far so good!

Fairy wrasses can be skittish when first added. Sometimes they hide until comfortable in their environment, other times it seems they hide because something is chasing them or intimidating them. If they don’t get more confident in a week or so, keep an eye out for secret bullying when they come out for food.

How is the Whipfin doing vs the Pintail?

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear so far so good!

Fairy wrasses can be skittish when first added. Sometimes they hide until comfortable in their environment, other times it seems they hide because something is chasing them or intimidating them. If they don’t get more confident in a week or so, keep an eye out for secret bullying when they come out for food.

How is the Whipfin doing vs the Pintail?
Interesting finding. At first I had only seen one of the two hiding out in a rocky cave. Well, today I was able to record them both hanging out in a cave together. Their heads stuck out of the rock side by side. No fighting, in fact they might be comforting each other.

I don't know if Wrasses pair up, but these two seem to like each other, no signs of bullying just extremely skittish. Doesn't help I have some pretty large fish, so, they have reason to be cautious. The big ones are mostly harmless. They'll chase occasionally but just for dominance, no physical harm.

Happy to finally find them both. One of the two came out today his hole body then swam back right away. For that to happen on day 2. It's progress. Both look very healthy. Beautiful fish.

The tiny leopard wrasse that could is doing great too, one of the three was out his afternoon with the lights on. He usually comes out with lights off. Not sure where the other two are. Hoping I find them when they get all grown up.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as long as nothing is consistently bullying the fairy wrasses, they tend to just decide to come out and be confident randomly and stay that way unless something bullies them.

I noticed my Linespot Flasher and Blue Side Fairy that I QT’d together stuck close to each other for a couple weeks after introducing to the main tank. Maybe that was a comfort thing too since they got to hang out so long in QT together.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whip fin and Pintail wrasses are doing great, I have a small ornate leopard wrasse that's doing awesome. I tried a couple normal leopard wrasses and they both died within days of each other. Looked good together one day then 1 missing the next then two days later the other healthy one's corpse was laying on the sand. So, Not sure whappened there, but the ornate leopard is doing awesome. He's not afraid of anything. Swims right by my 10-12" Tangs and just doesn't care about other larger fish. He's constantly pecking at the rocks and I've seen him eat pieces of frozen food. So, I think the ornate leopard will survive along with the pintail and whipfin.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back