2 x XR30 G4 vs 2 x XR15 G6 on 80 shallow

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be upgrading to an 80g shallow (48x24x16) soon and have a pair each of the xr30s (g4) and the xr15s (g6). I'd like to keep one pair and sell the others, but I've never really used radions before so I'm not sure how to compare across generations and models.

Thought and/or things to consider?

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The G4s are much more focused and could be mounted higher. They’re also likely to have much older and used LEDs.

The XR15 will be tough to push to 24*24 but your 12” depth helps a lot. You can mount them higher if needed at the cost of light spill into the room and your eyes.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want to do with the tank, what you want to grow in it. The advantage of the xr30s is that size that will give you a better spread of light across the tank.

OP
OP
Cool Ethan

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The G4s are much more focused and could be mounted higher. They’re also likely to have much older and used LEDs.

The XR15 will be tough to push to 24*24 but your 12” depth helps a lot. You can mount them higher if needed at the cost of light spill into the room and your eyes.
Older LEDs more likely to lose par? Or simply malfunction?

Realized I had typo. The tank is actually 16" but I'm guessing that doesn't change much
It depends on what you want to do with the tank, what you want to grow in it. The advantage of the xr30s is that size that will give you a better spread of light across the tank.

Does the spread change that significantly at only 4' tank? Reviews also seem to suggest the gen4's have wider spread than previous gens.

XR15 are very weak par lights. The 30s much better but depends on the corals you want.
Probably pretty minimal when it comes to SPS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back