2 Year Anniversary Live sale -up to 80% off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add an extra pump besides the return and Nero to create a little random turbulence

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand. Thanks it’s tricky.
What kind of par levels do I need to reach (in general) to keep soft acros and Montis okay? I think I have a decent idea about where my prime settings will match up par wise using the BRS template because the size of my tank and light height are matched up with their testing but I know it’s not a perfect model.
Acros will be OK in 200+

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add an extra pump besides the return and Nero to create a little random turbulence
That mighty jet can really move some water in that thing but I just run it in continuous mode. I do run that Nero in different flow modes to create some random flow but I’ll consider adding another wave maker too

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light should have no problem ripping 300+ though. At the same time don't sacrifice other corals to keep one happy. You may have to put some stuff on the edges of the light if you crank it up. My sanded is 200+ which is pretty high for some of the stuff there but it works. I think it works because at 14" above WL and being panel style led my ligtlhts are more t5ish in hterms of the spread par

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light should have no problem ripping 300+ though. At the same time don't sacrifice other corals to keep one happy. You may have to put some stuff on the edges of the light if you crank it up. My sanded is 200+ which is pretty high for some of the stuff there but it works. I think it works because at 14" above WL and being panel style led my ligtlhts are more t5ish in hterms of the spread par
Yeah I would say my softies and LPS are the most important right now don’t want to sacrifice those, probably going to go slow and play with placement if I see something unhappy.

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such thing as an affordable par meter. 500-600 is a lot
was doing some research and theres apparently an app on your phone that works as a lux meter and does par, you put a piece of paper over the front camera and put the phone in a plastic bag, then put it in the water. Only video i could find testing it showed that it could get within 10-40 or so par of the reading from an apogee par meter. free but not the most accurate, personally i just need an idea of what its like

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my Gonis on rocks . I have a couple slightly higher as well. Frogs and hammers can be close but torches need to be separate from the others. So far the only SPS that I’ve gotten to be fairly happy is stylophora and pocilophora. And one Pavona. So I’ll let others answer about Acros.
Sorry no frogspawn, that was a typo. So I can’t put a hammer and two indo gold torches right next to each other?

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was doing some research and theres apparently an app on your phone that works as a lux meter and does par, you put a piece of paper over the front camera and put the phone in a plastic bag, then put it in the water. Only video i could find testing it showed that it could get within 10-40 or so par of the reading from an apogee par meter. free but not the most accurate, personally i just need an idea of what its like
Photone

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some terrible pics from my jbj28
Screenshot_20230320_225546_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230320_225508_Gallery.jpg

As you can see I tried acros once then....lol.

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that, might try it just to get some general idea of what my par is looking like. i have a glass lid on the tank right now which isnt the best but ive got some jumpers, and that lid might be bringing the par down a little more on top of that

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Is there such thing as an affordable par meter. 500-600 is a lot
Rent one, Apogee is the best consumer grade.

Seneye works well for me at about $200, just be sure to update the firmware

Then I saw this released by coralvue, don't know much about it yet @ $300

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researched , thought about it, tried it, but figured I failed because of user error….

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Be sure to calibrate it first, which would a PAR meter would be needed anyways. I tried it and it was high by about 100. Once I calibrated it(basically setting an offset) yes it worked fine. Different phones have different cameras.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back