2 year PBlue Tang suddenly decides he does not like the baby Regal Tang

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 mixed reef. Have had a Powder Blue, Orange Shoulder, Purple Tang crew for about 2 years. Also have a Bellus Angel pair and fox face added since then. PB acts like an butt for a day or two, but now ignores everyone. 2 months ago i added a very small regal tang. Like little bigger than a quarter small. He has grown pretty quick and now a good 2". all was well. no aggression issues until yesterday the Powder Blue decides he no longer likes the Regal and is aggressively attacking him. Luckily the regal is still small enough he can dive into some SPS and get away. I am going to put a mirror up when i get home, which has worked in the past.

Its like a switch has flipped with the PB. Maybe the Regal is finally big enough to notice. Anyone ever had a PB suddenly go nuts?

pic of the offender and some of his "friends".

PBz7oDr8Q5aq3zyEEjvSow.jpg

Last edited:

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of it but I think it depends on the fish personally. I had one years ago that was afraid of it's own shadow. Maybe the pb can go to sump jail or the plenty box (acclimation box) for a little while until he decides he's ready to play nice with the rest of the team.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 mixed reef. Have had a Powder Blue, Orange Shoulder, Purple Tang crew for about 2 years. Also have a Bellus Angel pair and fox face added since then. PB acts like an butt for a day or two, but now ignores everyone. 2 months ago i added a very small regal tang. Like little bigger than a quarter small. He has grown pretty quick and now a good 2". all was well. no aggression issues until yesterday the Powder Blue decides he no longer likes the Regal and is aggressively attacking him. Luckily the regal is still small enough he can dive into some SPS and get away. I am going to put a mirror up when i get home, which has worked in the past.

Its like a switch has flipped with the PB. Maybe the Regal is finally big enough to notice. Anyone ever had a PB suddenly go nuts?
All tangs and maybe most fish change behaviors as they get older.

This is why compatibility charts are helpful to better future plan. Things are always great until they are not... Would expect your purple tang to be the worst of that mix, but maybe that will not happen for while until adult (or, maybe you get lucky there).

If you have a sump, perhaps move PB there for couple weeks then reintroduce back into main tank. If you do this, I'd use an acclimation box for reintroductions, as those he's been coexisting may have forgotten and then a different problem happens...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back