20-30 neon damsels?

kpiotrowski

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
121
Reaction score
4
Location
Buckley WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a school of fish in my 300g sps reef and am considering 20-30 neon damsels. Anyone have experince with these in large groups? TIA! ( currently have 4 tangs, 2 banners, mated ocellaris, lone green chromis and bangghia, sand sifter, and flame hawk. 425 actual gallons of water in the system.

Also considered longspine cardinals. any other suggestions for fish that may stick together more and stay around 2 inches and under $15--$20 each?

 
My experience was that they get large fast and when they get large they get evil and just tear things apart for fun.
EDIT: Whoops. I was referring to the Neon Velvet Damsel Neoglyphidodon oxyodon. You're probably asking about Allen's Damsel Pomacentrus alleni.
Those I don't know about. But I can tell you I've had three Blue Devils in a reef for 10 years and they've been a great fish.
 
Last edited:
I have kept groups of Alleni damsels in large tanks, but found they pair off and dont stay together as a group.

Dispar anthias will stay fairly close if you have a group of 10 or more individuals.
 
I would avoid damsels all together, I have never had a damsel that I have not traded back in due to aggression, not just toward other damsels but all of our fish. There the devil! Just my experience with them. Maybe go with a few different kinds of chromis or cardinals? Way more mellow
 
these are a more peaceful damsel. I have only recently become aware of them because besides common clowns I have never been interested in damsels and have avoided them.
 
get the longspine cardinals a peaceful school fish.
[video=youtube_share;A3AqY8_09EI]http://youtu.be/A3AqY8_09EI[/video]
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new