20 Gallon + DIY Sump and Stand

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha Reefers,

Just getting back to the hobby and I am starting small, for now.

First - I am getting my five year old daughter into the hobby.

Second - We have to move this year most likely, so setting up anything large just isn't the best idea until we are in a more permanent home.

Third - I think the small tank will be a perfect quarantine tank for our eventual bigger setup down the road.

Been in the hobby for 7 years, I have done this before, and I am in no hurry this time. Going to take my time and enjoy the journey as opposed to a race to the finish.

I bought some glass boxes from Petco and I am ordering up the parts and equipment for the tank and sump. Mostly from BRS, being from Minnesota myself, but also because those guys and gals have taught me a lot about reefing. I also got a few things from Amazon if there is enough difference in price.

Going to custom build my own sump/refugium to hope help control stability in the smaller system. Also plan to build my own stand for the tank and sump because why not.

Collected some dry rock from the beach with my daughter and it is curing in a ten gallon tank right now.

Currently planning overflow/drilling options and plumbing. Also looking at safety and redundancy to protect our pets and our home. Designing the sump and stand.

Hope you find my journey interesting, hopefully you can get some inspiration, and also I hope you can learn from any mistakes I make along the way.

Happy Reefing

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200222_174350.jpg

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200223_150226.jpg

I know I am crazy. Couldn't decide. I wanted the black ocellaris and my daughter wanted the orange.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200223_152952.jpg

One of the only times you can mix the salt in the tank. 20 getting setup to hold the rocks now.

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200223_165452.jpg

Fresh water dip for the new members of the family. Here we have Boris (the little one) Natasha (the big one)

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200223_170029.jpg

Also a dip for Rocky (the little one) and Doris (the big one)

Last edited:
OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200223_175608.jpg

Everybody getting along so far. They fed well, a little jostling around for the food and some chasing around after but so far so good.

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish came from Petco so I am treating them like they have everything. Going to give them the full quarantine before moving them to the main tank. Also gives me time to complete the stand and sump.

More updates to come.

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200224_073341.jpg

Everyone is still happy. Levels are good. Amonia started rising quickly overnight but by this evening it was dropping. Nitrite and nitrate are now climbing instead. The cycle is running.

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the glass panels to cut for the sump. Making some plans and diagrams to lay it all out.

Got a slab of marble from craigslist that I am planning to cut to create the stand top.

Looking into options for plumbing. I like the stuff BRS carries but shipping to Hawaii practically doubles the cost. Anyone know if any other sites for color pvc?

Also looking at overflow boxes for the back. Was thinking of just doing a siphon but the thought of flooding the floor if the siphon breaks is really pushing me towards drilling an overflow. Adds another $100 to the build but the peace of mind is probably worth it.

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy week. No progress on sump or stand. Also got my hands on some beautiful Koa wood that would make a gorgeous stand top but not water proof.

So far the quarantine is going ok.

They were getting along for the first few days just fine.

One of the orange clown's is showing signs of worms and of course that is the one the black clowns started picking on.

I have the medication for it but not sure if I can mix it with the coppersafe I am using already. Unless anyone here knows otherwise I plan to do a 100% water change in a few more days and then I will switch to that medicine. Use that for for the week like recommended and them go back to copper to finish the quarantine.

Have the weak fish in isolation and I have a tank divider coming this week to give them more room to roam.

Keeping an eye on the amonia everyday and so far it is going up and down and today hit zero again finally.

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200316_072948.jpg

Happy quarantine. Week 3 - 100% water changes every week.
Copper, MaracynOxy, and PraziPro, plus hyposalinity.
All doing well and one recovered from what looked like worms.

OP
OP
HawaiianVikingsFan

HawaiianVikingsFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200321_101630.jpg

4 Weeks! It is moving day!

If you can't tell I have been taking pictures and lazy about uploading them :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back